Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Sick Pig, Lethargic and Puffed up, Got her a week ago

monicaemily

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Im really new to owning a guinea pig and have come here MANY times for research and advice. But im worried about my pig. Her name is Pearl and I got her a week ago from a local farming store that has guinea pigs. She was completely fine until today, when I came home she was puffed up and sitting in the corner where she usually goes to the bathroom. She started drinking water but didn't eat much food. I gave her some lettuce and she ate that and drank for. I measured her heart rate and she seemed normal. She is a young pig, they didn't exactly know her age but Im hoping that she may be bloated because she hunches up and it looks like shes trying to go to the bathroom and made almost no noises. Im also looking into getting her a friend in the near future, I just didnt know if this coulf be a concern

Thanks

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Bloat can be very serious and even fatal if left untreated so I'm not sure I would be "hoping" she may be bloated. I would wait on getting her a friend until this issue is resolved and I would definitely avoid that local farming store when the time comes for her to get a friend.

I would make very sure she is female. Many times stores will get the sex wrong simply because they don't know how to properly sex. Males can become impacted, either from old age or from poor diet. It sounds like that could be the issue, if she turns out to be male.

If it is indeed bloat, you can try some Simethicone gas drops (the kind used for infants) to break up some of the gas and get it moving. A neck massager that vibrates can work as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION]. Bloat is a very serious thing to happen to a pig, and one episode will often be followed by others.

You need to get her to an exotic vet. Pigs can go from first symptom to dead in 24 hours, so don't put it off.

Is she pooping? If so, you need to be force-feeding her. If not, then it's really an emergency and you need to get to the vet even quicker.

monicaemily

Cavy Slave
Hi and thank you for responses,

I didn't know bloating could be fatal thank you for the information, im going to take her to the vet tomorrow, they are closed right now. She is pooping and seems to be herself again, its just concerning that she is still puffed up. I still want to take her regardless

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't wait. Especially if she's been showing symptoms since you got her. Most vets have an emergency/after hours number to call for things like this that can't wait until the office opens.

monicaemily

Cavy Slave
I just gave them a call and gave me a place to go, I am on my way now. Thank you so much.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just wondering how you made out with your little girl?

monicaemily

Cavy Slave
Hi! Thank you for checking in! I took her to the vet and she was absolutely fine. They didn’t know why she was puffing up and acting strange but I’m going in for a follow up on Monday just to make sure. She’s completely back to normal now and acting like herself. Thank goodness

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi! Thank you for checking in! I took her to the vet and she was absolutely fine. They didn’t know why she was puffing up and acting strange but I’m going in for a follow up on Monday just to make sure. She’s completely back to normal now and acting like herself. Thank goodness

Sounds like good news! We definitely like good news around here. Do keep us updated after your follow up!

monicaemily

Cavy Slave
She actually started being a little more noisy and active! Which is good, I still have a lot to learn!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.