Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Bonding Piggies - Fur pulled and blood drawn

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I introduced my sow to another pair of girls this morning, we had them out on neutral territory for 2 hours and everything was peachy. They were laying down together and sharing food and everything.

I put them in the cage and everything was great until I had to leave to go to the grocery store. They were in the cage for probably another hour and a half just fine. I wasn't gone very long and my brother kept an eye on everything while I was gone. I came back to find out apparently they had a fight, but they described it as just a little scufffle and a lunge.

What nobody told me was that fur was pulled, I found some tufts in the cage. I immediately checked over both pigs and found a spot with blood on it on one of the new pigs.

I haven't found anything yet on my original sow but I did see some of her fur in the cage.

Should I put them back in the cage and watch very closely? Or give them a buddy bath? I know the general rule is to separate if there is blood, which I have done. I feel like my brother wasn't paying close enough attention although I did talk him through what to look for.

My brother admitted to me after that he was talking on the phone when it happened >(

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
To start, introductions generally take much longer than just two hours, especially when adding bonded pairs to any mix. I've had intros go longer than 10 hours in the neutral space and I feel it is best to give them a considerable amount of time before adding them to the cage.

Next, how large is your cage and what kind of furniture do you have in there? In new cages I personally like to leave all hiding places out of the cage for a day or two to let everyone settle down. Make sure all hides have more then 1 door so no one becomes trapped.

Lastly, is the bloody wound serious or just more a scrape? If it isn't bad and they seem to be getting along I would leave them together. Sometimes scrapes happen and it doesn't mean that all hope is lost.

If they are still separate, I would wait until a day you have a considerable amount of time to supervise. Give them a buddy bath and then let everyone stay in the introduction pen for hours.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh I have a 2x5 with an L shaped 1x2 hay loft. I have no closed hidies in the cage at all, everything is open. 2 food bowls, 2 water bottles.

It isn't a serious wound, definitely more of just a scrape. I had them together last night for another few hours and then I divided the cage while I went to sleep so they could see each other through the bars. As per my rescues advice I switched the sides this morning so EVERYONE has been in all parts of the cage now.

I plan on doing a buddy bath and then re-introducing them on neutral territory. Everyone got along so well until I put them in the cage so I'm going to leave them out longer.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't have separated them for that. Nips don't count. Out and out bleeding does.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Just an update: I left them out in the neutral area for a good 5 hours, let them get the chasing out of their system etc. after having had a bath. Then I put everyone in the cage and they've been fine for the past few weeks! So happy I got it sorted out, I was very worried.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.