Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Looking for Abyssinians!

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone. I'm trying to look for an Abyssinian to keep my guinea pig company. I live in New York and I'm having so many problems even finding guinea pigs for some reason! Of course I am trying to adopt :) Can anyone help? I tried petfinder and guinea pig zone... looking for female or neutered male. No pairs since they'll be keeping my current cavy company. In the end, it doesn't really have to be an Abyssinian, but they're my fav breed. So, any helpful sites or anything, please help!

You can look on craigslist too, just try to avoid any breeder ads. They're usually fairly easy to spot, they won't talk about the pigs very lovingly. Have a look at the 'flag craigslist beeders' thread for some examples, then steer away from any similar ads, or ones that you feel just don't seem right.

Hey, i found a guinea pig rescue with a big abbyssinian family in New Jersey :) The thing is that you cant only adopt one but must adopt them with at least one of their sister/mom.

I got this Abyss mix from Craiglist! Looking for Abyssinians!

You can look on craigslist too, just try to avoid any breeder ads. They're usually fairly easy to spot, they won't talk about the pigs very lovingly. Have a look at the 'flag craigslist beeders' thread for some examples, then steer away from any similar ads, or ones that you feel just don't seem right.

There hasn't been too much to find. I'm looking for some that might already have pictures and all. Do you think i should just inquire?

You'll have to just keep looking, but if you do inquire, don't make it obvious you're against breeding, they'll either get on the defensive, or, they'll lie, and say they aren't, just to offload the pigs. If you do, just make sure you keep the inquiry completely neutral. Make it seem like you're asking for a silly little reason like 'Do you know anything about the parents? I'm interested in maybe doing showing' sort of thing.

You'll have to just keep looking, but if you do inquire, don't make it obvious you're against breeding, they'll either get on the defensive, or, they'll lie, and say they aren't, just to offload the pigs. If you do, just make sure you keep the inquiry completely neutral. Make it seem like you're asking for a silly little reason like 'Do you know anything about the parents? I'm interested in maybe doing showing' sort of thing.

Thanks for your advice :)

Try guinea pig zone also animal shelter have a lot of those. One of the most popular piggies. They are a bit cherries and braver. I love my little Truffles haha. Love Giz too he is braver than Giz in some ways

Not cherries auto correct at its finest. Lol

I meant cheeky sorry.

@Presuppose the term 'abbytude' is just coined by owners of abby's, there are no specific genetic traits in the breed that effect their personalities. It's like saying 'pigtures' etc, just guinea pig lingo really. Certain breeds of pig don't have certain traits the same way dogs do.

FYI, a lot of people that say you can't adopt only either have a bonded pair they don't want to separate, or they want to make sure you don't take a lone pig. Many rescues have the same rule. But if you've got a lone pig a home, some will adopt to you so you've got a pair. It never hurts to explain that you've got just one and ask if they'll consider adopting out one to you.

I know you say you don't want a bonded pair but why not? Many trios and herds of girls work out just fine temperament wise!

@Presuppose the term 'abbytude' is just coined by owners of abby's, there are no specific genetic traits in the breed that effect their personalities. It's like saying 'pigtures' etc, just guinea pig lingo really. Certain breeds of pig don't have certain traits the same way dogs do.

True. But from my experience he has more bravery that Gizmo can ever have. He's come our pigloo go back in come out over and over until I give him is food. Not that I'm withholding it from him ever unless he doesn't want it. But Gizmo alway will stay in his very still while I keep feeding him while Truffles does the snatch and runs. Lol

I dont want a pair bc i know my parents wont let me have another two guinea pigs. however i do have a guinea pig already so if i do get an aby she'll have company

Abys are my favorite breed as well. I am pretty well connected with others of like mind, and Abys aren't difficult to find. It's generally much easier to find males than females, so you will need to consider having him neutered. I have a superb cavy-savvy vet and have had two males neutered in the past three years without a problem.

Let me do a little research and I'll PM you. Where do you live? BTW, Have-A-Heart has a very good reputation.

I live in New York, on Long island not upstate.
thanks so much- i guess i'll wait for that PM? im fine with a male only if it's neutered. otherwise, female plz.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.