Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggy owner

Ehas0430

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

My name is Eric I am the proud owner of two female 8 month old piggies and a 3 month old male.

I have a awesome c&c cage built for them, the bottom is 2x5 and the 2nd level is a 2x3.. Currently my baby male is still in the quarantine phase we have had him for 2 days. Currently our girls are in the 2x5, and the 2x3 is blocked off we have him in a spare cage we had in a different room, but we're intend to put him,in the 2x3 space as a temp home we do not have a ramp yet so the girls do not have access to Him when he is there.

I have a few questions, I would like to put a ramp in and have the three of them play and live together.. But I know the male will need to be fixed. I currently am seeking an experienced vet to do the deed.

My first question is, has anyone got a male fixed who still got a female pregnant?

My second is, is it okay for me to make small toys and tunnels with cardboard boxes? I would assume it would be okAy as long as they don't try to make it a meal.

Third question, say the whole living together doesn't work out, if I just separate them with a divider and a Corp plast wall and maybe a few Windows on it, will that still cause issues ? And will that still fulfill their social needs or would I need a 2nd male to partner him with, but I have also heard two males with females can cause problems in itself as well.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Male guinea pigs do need to remain separated for at least three weeks post being neutered to allow any residual sperm to die off. If you were to put them together before at least three weeks, preferably four weeks, had passed he could still get the females pregnant, after that there should be no chance for him to impregnate them.

Cardboard is okay for toys, they can chew on them a little with no ill effects. If you use cardboard tubes it doesn't hurt to cut them once lengthwise, so they still are a tube but could be flattened out into a rectangle, to prevent them getting something, like their heads, stuck in them.

If it didn't work out the most ideal second choice would be having two separate cages, even stacked cages would work, with a pair in each. If he was neutered there would be no reason why his alternative companion couldn't be a female, but even a male could work provided they had compatible personalities and couldn't see the females. I have had male pairs in stacked cages where the other pair above/below them were females, it was only ever an issue with one boar pair all others got along fine and most seemed oblivious to presence of females in the other cage.

Here is a great page to read about neutering guinea pigs https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm
Also here is a great page about introducing guinea pigs https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like your already headed to being an excellent piggy slave.

I have personally been from neuter to intros, if you follow a 4 week heal time (6 if your really worried) you WONT have any pregnancy scares.
Here is a video that I did when I had Reko (RIP).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwxfTdyVKU

I use cardboard boxes for lots of things. I did a floor time video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4elximVA6M

I don't leave boxes in the cage though because it will get icky from pee and they will chew on it.

I personally would have grids set up to divide them. Coroplast just isn't stable but the grids are and they can still interact. If any of them do lots of chewing on the bars non stop you might need to add coroplast to stop them from seeing each other but in my experience, I've never had to do that. If you wanted to get him a male cage mate you would need to just build a new set up for them anyway so I'd just build either a stacked cage or move them to a different area so they can't see the males. Honestly only you can tell if him seeing them would be enough though. Some males just don't do well with other males but I would see if a rescue around you has one that would fit with yours if and when the time comes.

Hello,

My name is Eric I am the proud owner of two female 8 month old piggies and a 3 month old male.

I have a awesome c&c cage built for them, the bottom is 2x5 and the 2nd level is a 2x3.. Currently my baby male is still in the quarantine phase we have had him for 2 days. Currently our girls are in the 2x5, and the 2x3 is blocked off we have him in a spare cage we had in a different room, but we're intend to put him,in the 2x3 space as a temp home we do not have a ramp yet so the girls do not have access to Him when he is there.

I have a few questions, I would like to put a ramp in and have the three of them play and live together.. But I know the male will need to be fixed. I currently am seeking an experienced vet to do the deed.

My first question is, has anyone got a male fixed who still got a female pregnant?

My second is, is it okay for me to make small toys and tunnels with cardboard boxes? I would assume it would be okAy as long as they don't try to make it a meal.

Third question, say the whole living together doesn't work out, if I just separate them with a divider and a Corp plast wall and maybe a few Windows on it, will that still cause issues ? And will that still fulfill their social needs or would I need a 2nd male to partner him with, but I have also heard two males with females can cause problems in itself as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.