Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Trying to find a friend for my pig

jazznut92

Cavy Slave
Sorry to butt in but my girl is on her own and I've been looking to rehome a Friend for her for some while now with no luck. I've just found a neutered male, would there be any problem here? I don't want to have to buy a baby as she is about five now and then the baby will eventually be on its own and I don't have room for three :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Re: Can I put male and female guinea pigs together

@jazznut92 If either gender is desexed, and they are housed in an adequately large cage, then there is no issue with housing one boar with one or multiple sows. If you are 100% sure he is altered, and your cage is the equivalent to a 2x4 c&c cage or larger, then there is no issue with getting him as a friend for your lone sow.

If you do get him make sure to introduce them properly (you may also want to consider quarantining him beforehand for a few weeks depending on the situation), gender doesn't impact their need to establish a hierarchy between each other and there is no guarantee the boar would end up the dominant one in the pair. Here is a link to the one of the best guides to guinea pig introductions for anyone interested https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
Re: Can I put male and female guinea pigs together

The key is to make sure the male is neutered. I just had someone surrender two piggies to me that she had bought from Petco. Petco told her that they were both neutered males. I was real suspicious of this because Petco doesn't neuter their guinea pigs. I checked the sex of both and both turned out to be female.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hi @jazznut92

I moved your post and subsequent responses to its own thread. Rather than tagging onto someone else's thread, it's better to start your own. It will keep the responses to the different questions separate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.