Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Best store bought hay- temporary

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
So, I buy hay for my guinea pigs from Small Pet Select and yesterday I realized I was getting low so I quick went online and bought some more. Little did I realize, I only had enough for tonight. OOPS. Sorry piggies!

The hay was sent out today and won't be here for 4 more days. What is the best quality hay that I could buy at a pet store until my hay arrives?

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just find some that looks fresh and green. When you're buying from a pet store, brands really don't matter much.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@bpatters is right, buying hay at a store is not ideal and can be hit or miss when it comes to quality. Most has been sitting on a shelf for a long time and is dried out and nearly devoid of nutritional value. However, there is some hope. PetSmart does carry Oxbow which is one of the brands recommended here. We usually recommend buying direct from them online but in a pinch, you can find it at PetSmart.

If you find it, test it a little. Gently squeeze the bag, make sure it is soft and gives a little when you squeeze. Dried out hay will be stiff and might even crunch or break when you squeeze it. Smell it. Does it smell fresh like grass? Put the palm of your hand against the end of the bag, does it feel sharp or prickly? It might be too dried out.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! I picked up a bag of Oxbow hay for just the next day or 2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.