Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Rights Dyeing animals for decoration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
This makes me quite angry and frustrated on why people will dye animals (mostly chicks and rabbits) just for decoration! What really makes me angry is the decoration part! I mean what animal whats their body dyed hot pink or sky blue just so someone can look at it and say its pretty! Not to mention that this is probably harmful for a just hatched chicks health in general.

Has anyone else come across this.

Last edited:

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hear you. I can see how dressing up animals in costumes and dyeing fur and doing other humanizing, cute things upsets some people. It used to upset me, too. But, what gets to me these days, is this indignation usually comes from non-vegans. I mean seriously. I lose sleep over the horrors, torture, animal insanity and abuse of what people accept as completely and totally okay every day multiple times a day in order to feed their taste buds. I'm fed up to the gills with it.

I think we need to worry about the abject horrors going on with our dinner plate. That's worth getting angry about.

10371994_10152404435453769_7218045341852388668_n.jpg

There are a number of companies now that make supposedly-safe dyes for pets, dogs in particular. I've not done any research into it.

Me personally, I just finally got fed up with knowing my indignation about trivial things was hypocritical in the broad picture of animal welfare, so I finally made the commitment to stop being half-assed about it. I could go on about the journey, but bottom line, I find it difficult and challenging. I'm working my way through it and I have a new-found sense of priorities and perspective.

My take is, I'd rather someone think that little chick or bunny is CUTE rather than that same someone think that little chick or bunny is FOOD. At least that little chick isn't being ground up alive and that cute bunny isn't in someone's backyard pen waiting to be butchered or worse.

And, these are just my feelings on the subject. I KNOW that the vast majority of members here are not vegetarians or vegans, although I wish everyone was. :love:

My comment is not directly to you [MENTION=31790]guineapigcraz27[/MENTION], but to this reaction in general. We get a lot of it, especially on Facebook with silly and totally innocent & safe costume photos.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I don't like it when they dye their fur just to sell them. Most will see them and be like its so cute I'm gonna buy it and do no research. Im not a vegetarian because I just couldn't live without chicken and bacon and cheese burgers. But I do applaud those who do it's just not for me. Most will just get them just because they were dyed in these colors. I do wish stores and other people wouldn't dye their fur.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Agreed. It's so disgusting. I was getting supplies in PetSmart the other day (I don't want to shop there but at the moment I have no choice, being a minor my parents are not willing to buy online at the moment), and the grooming room can be seen next to the check out registers. As I was standing in line this groomer was spiking the dog's fur and DYING it. Made me want to scream. If you, as a human, want to dye your hair like you're a rainbow, fine, do what you must, but dying that animal is CRUEL. Unless they started talking somehow and told you "HEY I WANNA BE TEN DIFFERENT COLORS AND HAVE SOMEONE SCREW UP MY FUR" then okay, but that's not happening any time soon. People who actually do such things don't deserve to have animals. *face turns red in fury*

Okay, done ranting.
[MENTION=28349]Starthecavy123[/MENTION] I agree with the vegetarian thing. I respect those who do such a wonderful thing, but I simply cannot go without meat in my diet. If I went shopping I would choose a brand of meat that is confirmed not to be cruel to their animals (puts them gently and kindly to sleep rather than hang, beat, slice, etc.). It's sad.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't like it when they dye their fur just to sell them. Most will see them and be like its so cute I'm gonna buy it and do no research. Im not a vegetarian because I just couldn't live without chicken and bacon and cheese burgers. But I do applaud those who do it's just not for me. Most will just get them just because they were dyed in these colors. I do wish stores and other people wouldn't dye their fur.

Okay, but I just do not get your logic. You applaud those who respect an animal's right to life, while you do not. Murder, torture and abuse is okay, but someone spraying some dye on some fur is a bad thing? Really?

You say, "Most will see them and be like its so cute I'm gonna buy it and do no research." And to you, that is wrong. But what I read is, "Most will see it as just meat, and be like, 'it's so yummy, I'm just gonna buy it and eat it and not care." To me, that is wrong. That "chick" that got it's feathers sprayed is having a GRAND OLD TIME compared to the horrors that same "chick" went through to get to your stomach.

I won't waste a minute of concern on the paint anymore. I do spend a mountain of concern on the rest of it.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I wish I could be a vegetarian I just can't. Yes I support animal rights. They are gods beauty but I just can't go without meat. And that is not what I am saying at all. Some people might but I don't see every animal as a meal.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Like I couldn't eat a horse or a donkey which some countries do.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Maybe I'm just not wording my answers right.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
... but dying that animal is CRUEL.

I'm sorry, but I just can't let this go. Please tell me how dying fur is cruel? What exactly is cruel about it? Would you like a list of gruesomely cruel things done to the animals to feed your taste buds? Now THAT is cruelty. That you condone because you eat meat.

I just can't see how you can get so worked up about that and not the other. Well, I can, but I'm challenging you on your thinking about it.

The "vegetarian thing?" "Simply cannot go without meat in my diet?" You simply choose to put your taste buds over the lives of animals. It's a choice. You have a choice. You make it every day. Every single bite is a choice. All the time. You can change your choices at any time. I believe we need to take responsibility for our choices. They ALL have repercussions.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
We can't all go vegan or vegetarian. Im sorry but I just couldn't give up chicken especially. Half of every meal I have has meat.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Which is the cruel part? Is it harmful? This is a very new concept to me. I've never heard of dyeing a pet before. If the pet licks itself which it probably will then won't the chemicals be harmful? Is that why its cruel? Just curious.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wish I could be a vegetarian I just can't. Yes I support animal rights. They are gods beauty but I just can't go without meat. And that is not what I am saying at all. Some people might but I don't see every animal as a meal.

Stop saying you "just can't." That's bull, really. You CAN do anything you WANT to do. You just do not WANT to. Be honest with yourself.

I subscribe to the notion that no, you do not support animal rights if you eat them. Sorry. Can you not see the fallacy of the words? I'm just tired of the monumental rationalization about "eating meat." It's wrong. Period.

You kill the animal, you're killing yourself, you're killing our planet. It's hard not to feel hopeless about it, so I'm done being all 'whatever' about it. I just take issue with whacked out priorities about animals. Peace starts within. I'm trying to stay positive about it.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
What would I eat I hate almost every vegetables. I don't like carrots, kale, lettuce, peas, green beans, or spinach or celery nothing like that.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I am a petite figure so I need meat in my diet. But I hate what they do to get that meat. I am against slaughter houses, mills, anything. If I could stop eating meat I would! But I have a distaste for most vegetable and hate salad so I wouldn't know what to eat. I respect everyone who is a vegan/vegetarian and maybe hope to join them one day. Just right now I actually need meat and need to grow a taste to veggies haha! Hope people understand!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Same with me I've never been a salad or veggie person. You take meat out and you pretty much take away my source of nourishment.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
What would I eat I hate almost every vegetables. I don't like carrots, kale, lettuce, peas, green beans, or spinach or celery nothing like that.

Really? That's your best shot at why you won't stop killing and torturing animals?

Just a quick 2-second google search and there are a ton of resources that can help you.

https://theveggiehatingvegan.tumblr.com/
(broken link removed)
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=1&ie=UTF-8#q=vegetarian for vegetable haters

"We can't all go vegan or vegetarian." Yeah, we can.

Maybe you could spend more time on other animal activist sites. They are very motivating.

Friend me on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/TeresaAnnMurphy The vast majority of my personal posts are either a few cute guinea pig things or in your face posts about atrocities that go on every minute of every day. It keeps me motivated!

You think I don't LOVE meat: chicken, bacon, fish, eggs, cheese, steak? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it all! I find the excuses bogus and selfish. Yes, it's frickin' HARD to give it up. Make no mistake about it. We all have our own path on getting there. But get on the damn path. That's my message. Stop deluding yourself and get real.

So, put your mouth where your mouth is. Ha. Just made that up. :)

:love:

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
I understand. I wasn't particularly wording it correctly. I just feel that dying is cruel, and meat production is just as cruel, but I prefer to have meat in my diet. I love animals, and I wish to get meat the least abusive way possible, although I do not do the shopping (I am a minor), and therefore do not choose the brands we eat. You're completely correct, we totally can choose to go vegetarian, but we simply prefer it in our diet. I don't want meat in my diet just because it tastes good, but I like the health benefits it provides. A lot of meat is fattening or greasy, given, but there are healthy choices of it out there and when ate in moderation. I've ate meat since I was young, so it's always been normal for me. I have the choice to not eat it but, like I stated, I simply prefer it in my diet. You make an excellent point, however, and I respect it. There are many other food choices out there and if we love animals we shouldn't eat them. It is a very contradicting problem. The only time I would ever kill an animal myself is in self defense or if there were no veggie/fruit choices in such a scenario. I don't particularly choose the food I eat all the time (I don't know why, it's basically my own problem), and my mom likes to eat meat. Reading this you make a very excellent point, CavySpirit.

As for the dying animals thing, I just feel so strongly about it probably because I feel bad that the animal has to be colored against its own will. True, I would rather be forced to dye my hair than be butchered for meat, but neither should really be necessary. I feel we should be able to eat meat but not cause such cruelty to the animal (such as gently and quickly put it to sleep). Mass production of meat is depressing to watch (the McDonalds one, for example), and I wish I never ate those brands. In fact, if I knew how to cook a lot of different meals and I had any choices at hand, I'd make much better decisions for food.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Same with me I've never been a salad or veggie person. You take meat out and you pretty much take away my source of nourishment.

Then you are headed for an early grave anyway. Is that what you want? You need a balanced diet and meat is proven to be unhealthy in many ways--especially an all or mostly meat diet. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on vegetarianism here. I don't have the time for it and that is NOT the point of this thread. The point of this thread is about the priorities of animal rights and the whole 'dyeing' notion.

We're not going to lose sight of that. And if this thread gets ugly, I'll simply close it. I don't need a v*gan debate here. It's proven healthy beyond an omnivore diet and we have a whole support forum for it. If you want help on going vegetarian or vegan, please post in that forum.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I have another question I love crabs and living on the eastern shore everyone eats them. But it's kinda sad that you have to steam them alive. So would you consider that cruel?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't think dying animals is cruel unless the dye is harmful to them, or if they somehow manage to physically suffer from being colorful. Of course, I would never dye my own animals, and I does make me mad that people see animals as decorations, but I don't think it's necessarily always cruel. And I won't even get started on the vegan thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.