Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pellet bowls that won't tip?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone has come across a really good small bowl for pellets that won't tip?

My two year old sows have made it their life mission's to tip their bowl, spilling pellets everywhere and ultimately wasting a ton. I currently use one of the small ergonomic living world dishes. They are ceramic and supposedly heavy to prevent overturning, but that means nothing to my ladies!

I have tried plastic ones that clip on to the cage bars and first off I was unhappy with the height and how they would have to crane their necks to get them. Secondly, they obviously hated the bowl too as I left for school in the morning, 8 hours later I returned to them having chewed a giant groove in it so that pellets would spill. As you can see I have extremely persistent ladies!

I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or any solutions with good dishes!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I haven't had problems with the thick not tall ceramic bowls. As long as it's heavy and not tall it should be ok, though there may not be anything if multiple pigs are at it at once. I just have once girl that used to tip her plastic cheapy bowl and I just got the short height ceramic one.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I found a small low bowl at the thrift store and ran it through the dishwasher and it works perfectly! She puts her paws in it and nothing spills out! Try and look around at different places!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
my pigs have a ciramic bowl for their pelits...
i got it from a pet store though

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I used something like this once when I had a pig that kept tipping the bowl. I took off the rubber strip on the edge, though.https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+15+2792&pcatid=2792

You can find a smaller version of this style bowl at the Dollar Tree. My mom just bought one for me yesterday since Icarus tips over his water bowl during floor time. It's still at her house, so I haven't been able to try it out, but it looks promising.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
Spuds is a bowl-tipper. He has a small ceramic bowl and I finally just took a binder clip and clipped the bowl to the cage. The bowl sits on the ground, so he doesn't have to crane his neck, but he can't tip it either.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm probably going to end up clipping it to the cage somehow. They currently use this bowl:

(broken link removed)

They tip it everywhere, not even by standing on it, they just love to fling it around the cage! I tried switching it to another very low and small ceramic pet dish and I caught Gretchen using her mouth to fling it this morning :p

Well I will figure something out for my naughty ladies!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
We'll be putting up some new pellet bowls on the Market store later today. I'll repost when they are up. I think they might fit the bill for you, plus they come in 5 pretty pastel colors.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Awesome, thanks [MENTION=1]CavySpirit[/MENTION] I'll be sure to check them out!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
These are what's coming shortly... We got some of the larger sizes to use as veggie bowls as well.

becobowls-all.jpg

They're made out of a hard bio-composite -- 100% biodegradeble in a few years when disposed of, predominately bamboo.

They are light-weight, yet not too light and are very stable. They aren't going to be good candidates for the pigs being able to grab them with their teeth either.

elf222

Cavy Slave
I actually made a dish out of cardboard. It's basically a little, open topped box and one side is tall so it folds over the side of the coroplast wall and then I binder clip it on. I wanted to re-make it in the same size with coroplast but I feel like the coroplast edges are rough so not sure it's going to work. At one point he started chewing the side of the box but then I moved it and put that side against the wall and he hasn't tried to chew since. Good luck.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
I binder clip mine as well, Chicken is horrible about tipping it. I swear he does it on purpose, looks right at me and tips it!! No problems with binder clipping it to the grid

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I use this and it works perfectly ;) costed maybe $2 from Walmart. uploadfromtaptalk1404193200327.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.