Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Bowls vs Bottles

erob1991

Cavy Slave
Hello!
Just wondering if anybody has any experience to share about using water bowls with their pigs? When I move, I may have the guineas in my room, and I can't sleep with the bottle rattling. My pigs do have a tendency to flip their food dish, and their pigloo. I'd like to potentially use a water bottle during the day and then at night give them a bowl because Spice drinks a ridiculous amount of water and sometimes empties the bottle quickly and then bangs it against the side of the cage to let me know to fill it up.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Why not get a bigger bottle and fill it up right before you go to bed? That way it'll last all night and she doesn't make a ruckus with it? As for water bowls, I have one pig that isn't drinking from the bottle (head tilt makes it difficult) and we use a hard, heavy plastic food bowl from PetsMart and she doesn't like drinking from it at all. But it also doesn't hold near as much as a bottle so I don't think it will help in your case to be honest.

erob1991

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry - she makes a ruckus either way, she doesn't seem to have ever mastered the technique of drinking quietly, and chomps it at the same time.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a waterbottle chomper. I feel your pain.

I love water bowls, I use them just to change things up. I used a heavy ceramic bowl from my kitchen, because my pigs dump over their food bowls too. They loveee their water bowls and I can sometimes find them sticking their front feet in it an playing in the water.

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
I've seen some food bowls sold online that attach to the side of the cage for drinking water. That way they don't tip over. I'm not sure if you can buy them in person at pet stores, so you might have to buy online, but, I've read they work well!

You could test it out. Just be wary, some pigs might not know how to use it. Also, depending on the height of your coroplast, it might be to high for them to reach. I'll include a picture and link.

https://www.amazon.com/ProSelect-Stainless-Steel-Hanging-8-Ounce/dp/B000GDZ0GK

41ZM6SsND0L._SY450_.jpg

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
So my guinea pigs even if lifted up get there water dirty by transferring food in there so I change it about 4-5 times a day and can't buy a water bottle because I am getting ine fir my birthday so for another week I have o change the water. As long as my my piggies are happy it is worth it.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
I've seen some food bowls sold online that attach to the side of the cage for drinking water. That way they don't tip over. I'm not sure if you can buy them in person at pet stores, so you might have to buy online, but, I've read they work well!

You could test it out. Just be wary, some pigs might not know how to use it. Also, depending on the height of your coroplast, it might be to high for them to reach. I'll include a picture and link.

https://www.amazon.com/ProSelect-Stainless-Steel-Hanging-8-Ounce/dp/B000GDZ0GK

View attachment 51328

i agree! i have something like this but its bigger and ceramic. they love it but it takes up floor space ,since i dont want it to be too high up,from them so i don't have it out for them right now

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
*one *for *to >_< Sorry I typed fast.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The pigs I just took in were only used to water bowls so I tried those at first but they were disgusting in a matter of minutes no matter how high up I attached them.

There are water bottles that don't make noise, I just found some that are glass with glass sipper tubes that are perfect.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
The pigs I just took in were only used to water bowls so I tried those at first but they were disgusting in a matter of minutes no matter how high up I attached them.

There are water bottles that don't make noise, I just found some that are glass with glass sipper tubes that are perfect.

This is a really good idea!

Why not get a bigger bottle and fill it up right before you go to bed? That way it'll last all night and she doesn't make a ruckus with it? As for water bowls, I have one pig that isn't drinking from the bottle (head tilt makes it difficult) and we use a hard, heavy plastic food bowl from PetsMart and she doesn't like drinking from it at all. But it also doesn't hold near as much as a bottle so I don't think it will help in your case to be honest.

And this is also another thought I had. A bigger bottle, or two or three. That way if they empty one there's more there. I don't even notice the noise my pigs make at night, but I keep background noise on too so that may be why. I do not like water bowls. My pigs won't drink from them, but rather like to sit in them. It's quite disgusting with all their little poops floating around!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.