Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Sudden Hair Loss

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Hello there, I'm having an issue with one of my piggies. Completely out of the blue, Saige started losing hair. The hair loss is present on her rear, back legs and lower belly, nowhere else. It looks like it's been a few days since this started, but I just realized it now. The skin where the hair loss is not red or puffy, it's normal-colored yet feels very rough. What really concerned me was when she went to go itch, she fell onto her back in an itching fit and did not get back up until a few moments later. After getting up she was slightly shaky but continued on as normal. When I witnessed this I was panicked, I thought she was leaving me!
I know this is not contagious as her cagemate Alaska is not losing hair and is doing just fine. I examined Saige and found no traces of mites, but I'm not ruling that out too soon.
Can someone please help? :(

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
How old is Saige? I've never had an intact sow myself, but I'm pretty sure that hairloss can be a hormonal thing in older sows.

joyknights

Cavy Slave
While there are many possible reasons for hair loss, the most common reason by far is microscopic mange mites, a painful parasitic condition easily treated with ivermectin. Fungal infections are a close runner-up. Old age does not cause hair loss.

I would suggest that you go visit a vet to know the reason behind it.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Here's a link to possible causes of hair loss:

https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

It says that hair loss on the sides can be a symptom of ovarian cysts, which are common in older sows. However, if she's really itchy, that would point more towards mites, as @joyknights said. Mange mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin; there's no way to see them by looking with the naked eye.

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Alright, I ordered the Durvet Ivermectin Dewormer, it should be coming in this weekend. For the time being, is there any way I can keep the poor girl comfortable? She looks awful :'(
Side note, Saige is around 3years.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to relieve the itching in the meantime... One thing you definitely should NOT do is bathe her, as water just irritates the mites and they make the itching worse. When the ivermectin arrives, you're going to need to treat both pigs because they've both been exposed. Even if Alaska isn't showing symptoms now, she could start showing later on, and as the ivermectin treatment is safe and you'll have plenty of it, you should just treat both of them. Make sure you also have an accurate kitchen scale to weight them. Other than that, just monitor and tell Saige that help is on the way! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.