Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water How much water is too much?

• Thread starter Simpsonspiggie8
  • Start date

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi guys I have 4 piggies and one pair drinks so much and the other drinks barely anything.The one pair will drink both of the glass living world bottles ( i thing they are 12 oz) in their cage in one day and they pee so much their fleece liners get so soaked compared to the other pair but, my other pair will take almost a week to drink the same amount! should I be concerned about this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd check to see whether the bottles in the big drinkers' cage are actually leaking. That's a LOT of water for two pigs to drink. There's either a leak, or they're playing with the water bottle.

Another option, which is WAY less likely, is kidney disease or diabetes. But it's very unlikely that two pigs in the same cage would both have the same condition, and it's STILL a lot of water for two pigs. I'd bet on the leak or the playing.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
If the pigs are related, that would make it less unlikely for them to both have the same medical problem, but it's definitely still unlikely. Excessive drinking can also be a sign of pain/irritation, but again, if they're both doing it that's probably not the case. If they're itchy or losing any hair, it could be mites causing it, but again, unlikely.

It's also possible that they drink inefficiently, though I assume you would've mentioned that- one of my guinea pigs drinks by standing next to the water bottle and turning her head nearly upside down or sideways, and she always spills about the same amount of water as she drinks.

Since it's happening with both water bottles, I'd guess they're playing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, where did you get the information about excessive drinking being a sign of pain? It's not, that I know if, in any species at all, but if you've got a link, I'd like to see it.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@bpatters just chiming in regards to pain and drinking. I know own my vet has definitely mentioned that increased drinking is common in pigs with malocclusion.

She mentioned that increased drinking can help them feel fuller due to being unable to eat proper amounts, as well as pressure or pain in the mouth could be mildly relieved by biting and gnashing on the bottle spout.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks, @sallyvh. My guess is that the excessive drinking in that case is due to hunger, not specifically to the pain. But the chewing on the bottle spout could definitely be attributed to pain, as is chewing on other things.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I heard it from my vet when I had Theo checked for arthritis, since she's the pig who drinks excessively and in the strange position, and as you know she turned out to have mites, and she does seem to drink less now, although still oddly. It's certainly possible my vet was thinking of what @sallyvh mentioned, though.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
They are not related but they both came from horrible conditions. They were both originally from animal care and control in NYC and apparently one only got alfalfa hay and carrots for the first 2 years of its life and the other one was extremely malnourished when she came to me . I would not be surprised if they had serious health problems but I don't think I can afford to bring both to the vet to get tested for stuff. I will have to look to see if they are playing or spilling it or if the bottle is leaking I will pay closer attention to what they are doing and update you guys later ! Thanks for your help !

miniver

Cavy Slave
Thanks, @sallyvh. My guess is that the excessive drinking in that case is due to hunger, not specifically to the pain. But the chewing on the bottle spout could definitely be attributed to pain, as is chewing on other things.

That's exactly the case for my stone pig. On-set symptoms include chewing on everything, especially her water bottle. That's my trigger to call the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.