Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Pellet Crisis!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I recently told my mom that my guinea pigs were almost out of food. Well, she went to the store and got the kind with seeds in them! I know those kinds of pellet's aren't good for my boars, but I don't know what to do. She would get mad at me if I refused to feed it to them, because the food was rather expensive. Can I just take all of the bad stuff out when I give it to my guinea pigs? Or not?

I will make sure my mom knows not to get that kind in the future, thanks in advance.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
You can't return it?

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Sadly I can't return it... I know it wouldn't help much, but would it do something if I threw the bad stuff away and mixed the pellets it with the food that's left of their old food? It would be tedious work, but I have a lot of free time anyway.

Also, the only reason my mom got the bad kind in the first place was because they were out of the regular food. I wish I had waited to tell her I needed it!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The pellets are junk even without the other stuff. How long do bags that size usually last? You can just not feed pellets for a short time (not too long or you risk vitamin/mineral deficiency). You should be feeding hay and fresh veggies. You may have to deal with the problem of your mom refusing to buy more until that is fed. I'd make it steadily disappear in that case.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can actually go pelletless if you're careful what you feed. Mine haven't had pellets in over two years, and seem to be perfectly healthy.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem my girlfriend got a bag of hartz and it had all kind of stuff in it .she didn't know so I explained about it to her but the bag didn't go to waste as the squirrels in my area just loved it as did some if the birds also .

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Just feed it to them, its not going to kill them. Many people for years have used that crap and the pigs lived. Just explain to her the next time if your brand is out, that you'd rather go pelletless for a few days, over getting pellets mixed with bad stuff for them, they wouldn't normally eat if foraging.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Just feed it to them, its not going to kill them. Many people for years have used that crap and the pigs lived. Just explain to her the next time if your brand is out, that you'd rather go pelletless for a few days, over getting pellets mixed with bad stuff for them, they wouldn't normally eat if foraging.

Actually, seeds pose a choking hazard, among other health issues. Before I found this forum I had a guinea pig who I fed a treat stick with seeds and he got a sunflower seed stuck on his top front teeth.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Actually pellets with seeds can kill guinea pigs. They can choke on them. No, none of my former pigs ever died from eating crappy food, but my girl Squealer once got her incisors stuck together in a sunflower seed

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
She said she was going to pick out the seeds.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx and @pigmommy89, I will take out the seeds and everything else that's bad. Before I knew that food was bad, I got it once and my boys didn't even eat the extra stuff!:D They are plain piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.