Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Pros and cons of different absorbent layers

louihannan

Cavy Slave
Re: Pros and cons of different absorbent layers- wood pellets under fleece

Okay, I use fleece over pine wood pellets, and I love it!

Pros:
  • Turns to dust after getting wet about three or four times. My piggies don't exactly pee gallons, so it works very nicely. (Depending on how thick you lay it down this will vary, I do a 40 pound bag and a half on a 2x6.)
  • Doesn't smell even after turning to dust.
  • Biodegradable (we use the used stuff in the garden) as opposed to burning paper.
  • 5-6 dollars for a 40 pound bag.
  • Has to be changed every 6-8 weeks.

Cons:

• Um, let me think...
  • Still thinking.
  • Darn, I just can't think of any cons!
  • Anybody got any?
Where do you get the pine wood pellets/ what kind of stores sell them?

bmt28

Cavy Slave
I use fleece with U-Haul pads underneath and then a plastic container with paper bedding in their "potty" area

Pro's; Cheaper than all paper bedding (I was going through a large bag of paper bedding a week, it really bugged me that when I tried to clean the wet spots that there were stray poops at the bottom, so I was changing the bedding in the whole cage almost every day!), it looks pretty, smells better than the paper bedding, easier clean up and less garbage

con's; .... I don't really have any at the moment other than the whole cage gets cleaned out every other day, but considering I was having to do the whole cage with the paper bedding any way I wouldn't necessarily call it a con

Can you purchase the wood pellets at the pet store? And do they work that well for the smell? 6-8 weeks seems like a long time to have them peeing on something and it not smell...

They really don't smell! It's the strangest thing! I have one pig, Sammie, who prefers to stay in his 1x2 loft so his area / pellets gets switched out more like every 4 weeks. (Why would he ever want to enjoy the rest of the huge piggie palace??? LOL!) I stir around the wood pellets every night when I shake out the fleece so that the wet mixes back in with the dry. It's totally fine. I have not seen them at the pet store however I hear you can buy wood pellets for horses for their barn/ stall at feed type stores. I live in Michigan, USA so wood pellets are easily found here at Lowes/Home Depot etc. They are really cheap! There are really good threads about wood pellets in the forum.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Re: Pros and cons of different absorbent layers- wood pellets under fleece

Places like Tractor Supply and feed stores sell them.
Where do you get the pine wood pellets/ what kind of stores sell them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.