Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Anyone Ever Use Hemp Bedding?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I was the the Global Pet Expo last week and got some products to review, including hemp bedding for small animals. I'm curious, has anyone ever used it before? If so, how did it work out for you? Any precautions? It looks a lot like paper bedding, so I plan to try it out in the girls' playpen where I usually use Carefresh. I found one old thread about hemp, but it didn't have too many responses. I'll post about my experience once I try it next week, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
What is hemp anywho?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
It's cannabis. Yes, THAT cannabis, but it's also used for a variety of natural products because you can make it into things like fabric, rope, etc.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Industrial hemp is from a cannabis plant. It's a green alternative to lots of stuff including clothing and paper. Clothing made from hemp lasts longer and is better quality then cotton. Ultimately it's better for the environment. It has many more uses then what I used as examples.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's cannabis. Yes, THAT cannabis, but it's also used for a variety of natural products because you can make it into things like fabric, rope, etc.

It's a strain of "that cannabis" it can't be used for any "medicinal" purposes though.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
It's a strain of "that cannabis" it can't be used for any "medicinal" purposes though.
Very true, although it didn't keep me from imagining the girls all spread out and chillin' in their cage in tie-dyed piggy t-shirts when I first saw it at the expo.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Very true, although it didn't keep me from imagining the girls all spread out and chillin' in their cage in tie-dyed piggy t-shirts when I first saw it at the expo.
LOL!!! And no, I've never used hemp bedding before, but it does sound like it would work well!

Skippie

Cavy Slave
I havent used it or seen it but I am so intrigued! It seems like it might fight odors better and still be durable. Please do let us know what you think of it! How much was it?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
It's under $15 on Amazon: (broken link removed)

Petco used to carry it, but the manufacturer said they don't anymore. The reviews on Amazon seem to be either "love it" or "hate it," without a lot of middle ground.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I've offered my girls a tiny nibble of my medical-grade stuff (it's not active when ingested)...they sniffed at it a bit, but weren't interested in trying it. lol

Anyway, I'd gladly give hemp bedding a try. The reason hemp isn't universally used for paper and textiles currently is because the paper industry has lobbied Congress for decades, because they know they could never win in a fair fight. Hemp is more easily renewable and more efficient. Some people are just afraid of revolutionizing the industry for the better if it means they'll lose out on billions in profit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.