Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding to bond or not to bond?

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have a question. I understand that guinea pigs need a friend. I have 2 males whom are both 4 months old. Every introduction (2 times) leads to some kind of minor incident involving blood. When I separate them into their own cage and they see each other they start to popcorn and wheek loudly. I don't want to risk putting them together again for the risk of one getting hurt again. Would it be fine if I just put them in separate cages where they can still each other and sniff each other through the grids? Would it count as having a friend even though they are in different cages? Do I need to get another friend for each one? OMG 4 :-O

Thank you

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
I would build a c&c cage split it in 1/2 and leave part without coraplast so they can sniff each other but not harm one another.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
Should I build a ramp so they can visit each other and escape to their own half of the cage when needed? or just block them off but able to see each other?

I really wanted them to bond :(

Thanks for your reply :)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I think the biggest question here is: How are you going about doing the introductions?
Lately I've been seeing quite a few posts about piggies that won't get along/fight, and it's usually due to improper introductions (no offense intended, btw).

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
I think the biggest question here is: How are you going about doing the introductions?
Lately I've been seeing quite a few posts about piggies that won't get along/fight, and it's usually due to improper introductions (no offense intended, btw).

I read that I should put them in a neutral territory with hay in the middle. I let them find each other and not interfere unless I really needed to.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
I think that would be a good idea and @Aleks is right... an improper introduction could lead to guinea pigs fighting.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How big of an area are you introducing them in? If they're in a small area, there's no escape or place to retreat to so they're bound to fight.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
Yes you do want them in neutral territory. You could have hay of veggies/fruit. You should have a blanked near by just in case they get in a fight... I have seen a video on how do to a proper introduction. Let me find it.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
How big of an area are you introducing them in? If they're in a small area, there's no escape or place to retreat to so they're bound to fight.

I used the kitchen area of my apartment because that's the only place they haven't been and doesn't have carpet. Maybe about 16 sq feet.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I read that I should put them in a neutral territory with hay in the middle. I let them find each other and not interfere unless I really needed to.

It sounds like you went about it correctly.
When you say you don't interfere unless you really need to, do you mean only when they're full-out fighting and have drawn blood? I only ask this because sometimes people think that what is actually normal dominance behavior is them fighting and separate them too soon.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
Yes you do want them in neutral territory. You could have hay of veggies/fruit. You should have a blanked near by just in case they get in a fight... I have seen a video on how do to a proper introduction. Let me find it.

Sorry...forgot to say I had a towel with me during introductions.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you went about it correctly.
When you say you don't interfere unless you really need to, do you mean only when they're full-out fighting? I only ask this because sometimes people think that what is actually normal dominance behavior is them fighting and separate them too soon.

They were mounting, sniffing, making weird noises while standing about 5 inches away from each other, and their hair was raised. When I seen blood above one of the piggies lip it was time to call it quits.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
Sorry it took so long to find this, but it does sound like you did it right. Here it is anyways

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
Sorry it took so long to find this, but it does sound like you did it right.

Thanks for the video :) I have tried two introductions. Should I keep trying? or does that just stress them out?

piggielove123

Cavy Slave

Thanks for the video :) I have tried two introductions. Should I keep trying? or does that just stress them out?
I would do the cage idea first and see how things go, if they go well you could try another introduction, but if they do not got well...

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for your advice :D

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
your welcome : ) Hope the 3rd is the charm : )

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

I would try again, my first went bad after 3 hours. I did it a second time in an area about a 4x4 and it went well. I mean sure there was the normal but no blood the second time around. A few times when it was getting close i threw more hay and lettuce in, a few false coughs or sneezes. I know it was the wrong way but it worked for me This was with 4 pigs, two pairs. Also I started with four piles of hay and lettuce mix.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.