Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Overdue pregnancy (?)

• Thread starter Monina Saberola
  • Start date

Monina Saberola

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I have an American Guinea Pig whose age is roughly 1 year 8 months (I got her when she was 8 months). A friend of mine gave me a baby guinea pig last Dec 12,2014. My other guinea pig who is also a sow didn't like the baby and always trying to dominate the baby. On the other hand, Miggy lets the baby stay with her. After 2 weeks, I found out that the baby was actually a boar. My friend thought he was a sow. I couldn't separate the boar because I don't have a spare cage, although someone else adopted him around Dec 21, 2014.

January comes and I noticed some changes with Miggy. She more lazy, eats more than usual, always laying down. A few weeks passed and there's somewhat of a bulge in her tummy area. I was alarmed at this fact.

So this time I set up a cage and separated her, observing her weight and changes in her body. She became more heavy, and whenever she lays down, she looked obviously pregnant.

My worry now is that, its already March and she still hasn't delivered. I don't want to bring her to the vet cuz itll cause her more stress, plus I live in the Philippines. Few exotic vets for guinea pigs here, plus the clinics were very far from where I lived.

So, the boar was with my cavies Dec 12-21, 2014. If the 10 week mark is true, then my Miggy is definitely overdue. I asked a breeder here in Philippines to check my cavy based on the pic I was gonna show him, and he said maybe she would only have 1 litter. But he's not certain the baby is still alive, considering she's 2 wks overdue.

Idk what to do :( she still eats healthy to this day, and she doesn't have signs of illness. Currently her weight is at 930g. Pictures will be posted later.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's possible that she's not pregnant. An ultrasound or X-ray would show you for sure.

She's not overweight at 2 lbs (930 grams). It's recommended to weigh your guinea pigs weekly, to let you know if she's not eating because she doesn't feel better, or in this case would have let you know if she's gaining a lot of weight.

Sometimes ovarian cysts can make a pig look like she's pregnant. Usually ovarian cysts form when a pig is over 2 years, but it's possible in a pig the age of yours.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old was the baby boar when he was adopted out?

Guinea pig pregnancies are usually 9-10 weeks. They don't usually go over 10 weeks, so she's possibly not pregnant. If she is, by this point you should be able to hear the pups' teeth gnashing, and see her sides move when the pups kick.

However, guinea pigs over 9 months old when they have their first pregnancy can have a very difficult time delivering. The ligaments that hold the pelvis together stiffen and don't allow the bones to separate for the birth. Sows that have only one or two large pups may not survive the delivery. So if you truly think she's pregnant, you should look up a vet who can do an emergency spay if necessary. If she's in labor and having problems, it'll be too late to search for one then.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she for some other links you may find helpful.

Monina Saberola

Cavy Gazer
I weigh her weekly. She was only 500+g when I first got her. 1020g was her heaviest during the "pregnancy." I know she's pregnant because of her behavior changes. She doesn't like to be held, she hates being touched on her tummy (she bites anyones fingers if someone does.) I read somewhere that 1 litter pregnancy usually lasts longer (12 wks at most) but idk, i just read it somewhere in this forum which was dated around 2010. Anyways, this is her second pregnancy, if she is. She also only had 1 litter on her first pregnancy. I think she gave birth march 2014 (she was still with her previous owner). As for the ovarian cyst, I know the other symptoms are shedding on her sides (?) but she isnt. So idk. �� its so stressful haha.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Twelve weeks is wrong, wherever you got it.

And I repeat, if she's 10 weeks pregnant you can hear the pups' teeth and feel definite kicks. Dislike of being held or touched on the stomach are NOT signs of pregnancy.

How old was the boar when he was separated?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I weigh her weekly. She was only 500+g when I first got her. 1020g was her heaviest during the "pregnancy." I know she's pregnant because of her behavior changes. She doesn't like to be held, she hates being touched on her tummy (she bites anyones fingers if someone does.) I read somewhere that 1 litter pregnancy usually lasts longer (12 wks at most) but idk, i just read it somewhere in this forum which was dated around 2010. Anyways, this is her second pregnancy, if she is. She also only had 1 litter on her first pregnancy. I think she gave birth march 2014 (she was still with her previous owner). As for the ovarian cyst, I know the other symptoms are shedding on her sides (?) but she isnt. So idk. �� its so stressful haha.

I had a guinea pig with an ovarian cyst that had absolutely no symptoms of ovarian cysts. The only reason we found it was because we put her through a CT scan for an unrelated problem.

Another potential is a tumor. I had a different guinea pig who developed a uterine tumor, and it grew over the course of several months. She was only with females, that I knew 100% were females, but if I hadn't known that I could've seen myself mistaking it for a pregnancy. It grew to the point it did before I finally went to the vet because I had gone to a vet (who was not my regular vet) who misdiagnosed it as something else. She was spayed, and it went fine with a competent vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.