Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece No sewing fun items!

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I've seen the no sew easy to make pig bed! An love it - just got me thinking if anyone had any other no see fleecey items? Xx

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The only other thing I can think of would be the fleece forest.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've seen a fleece tunnel that was made from oatmeal container.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
You could probably make a cosy or tunnel no sew.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
You could probably make a cosy or tunnel no sew.

I think it was your no see fleece bed I made last time!? :) it was brilliant!! Would a fleece tunnel be made in a similar way? Xx

Traysea

Cavy Slave
yep, basically anywhere you would sew, you would knot. But for the tunnel I would probably trim the tails of the knots smaller since you typically fold the ends over to make it more stiff. I will fiddle with it and see what I come up with if you like.

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
Where does everyone buy their fleece from?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
@Traysea that would be brilliant!! I'll have a go too then look at your to see where I went wrong!! Lol :) xx

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Where does everyone buy their fleece from?
I've gotten mine from Hancock fabrics when they have their huge sales, and just from Walmart some times.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
yourfleece.com
Joann.com
hancockfabrics.com

also if you gateway thru ebates for joanns and hancock you get get 3-4% cash back checks. If you haven't signed up you should! It's free, you get a free gift card once you use it to shop, and if you let me send you the invitation they will give me a referral fee. (PM me and I will send you an invite). I don't know why more people don't know about ebates. Anytime you shop on line you should start there and see if the store you are shopping at participates. Sometimes they also post website special promo codes for extra discounts.

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
I do have ebates, thanks for the tip. I found 4 fleece blankets on sale at Christmas Tree Shoppe today -- 50 x 60 blankets in a variety of colors, so I grabbed 4 (seemed liked a great deal to me, but I'm new to fleece buying! ;) ). It said 100% polyester; is this what I want? And I should wash them a couple times first, right? Our washing machine is getting fixed on Friday (which has slowed me down from switching to fleece) but I did let him cuddle with one of the blankets. I have an empty shelf he likes to go in during floor time, so I folded the blanket in there and he rubbed his bum all over like crazy, marking it "mine mine mine!". That means he likes it, right!? :)

So is fleece just the safest material for them? Or because they like to cuddle in it? I've seen carpeted ramps and whatnot in cage pics. Are other fabrics okay? He loves pulling at our socks :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Yup, you want 100% polyester. Prewashing/prepping preshrinks the fleece and also strips it so it wicks. Test it by pouring water on it. If the water doesn't pass right thru you should wash it. Test again and see if it passes. The thinner the fleece the faster it typically wicks. Really plush, dense fleece can take longer to prep.

The reason we use fleece more than other fabrics is because it wicks so when they pee on it the pee passes thru and it dries super fast. So they are not laying in a puddle of pee. Also because fleece doesn't have long fibers that can fray over time and get tangled up. Or if they chew on it it won't unravel or ingest long fibers which can get tangled in their intestines causing a blockage. You can use other fabrics and fibers (I do) but if they chew them its best to take them out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.