Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Introducing Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Sebastian is my oldest boar, he's six months old. I got Cosmo last Monday, he's 2 months old. I gave them time to get used to each other by putting their cages next to each other. I finally introduced them on Friday and things went alright. There was no blood, no fighting, just a lot of rumble struts from Sebastian as well as mounting and low rumbling. Sunday I started adding two separate food bowls to what I normally add; hay water and toys. Sebastian has been blocking both bowls and both water bottles. I know there's nothing I can really "do" but it's killing me seeing my oldest be such a bully to the baby. He even mounts his face sometimes, but there's no fighting what so ever, they spend hours together. I just feel so terrible that poor Cosmo can't even eat without being rumbled at and/or mounted. will this eventually stop or at least ease up?
Also, I have a vet telling me that they should keep having Introductions but should reside in separate cages, but there are threads saying that stresses the pigs out. So what's the proper way? And if the proper way is to put them in the same cage permanently, then wouldn't Cosmo starve and dehydrate to death because of Sebastian blocking all the resources??
They seem to like each other they will go up to the side of their cages just to see and sniff each other but once on the floor Sebastian just seems overly dominant but they play together by running and popcorning.
All in all, my questions are though I know there's nothing I can do, is there a way Sebastian can let my little guy eat and drink? Will he ever ease up? Is there any hope, any possibility that they can be friends? And should I cage them together?
2c00ff86c6a922ca67636f1b38f0b8c6.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I definitely think your vet is off base about repeated introductions. Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance over other pigs every time they meet, and it's just stressful to keep separating and reintroducing. Introduce once in a large neutral area and then put them in a LARGE thoroughly cleaned cage that smells nothing like either pig. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

But you've got a lot of bullying yet to come. The older one is in the throes of puberty, and the baby hasn't gotten there yet. This could go on for a year or so. The baby will probably get tired of it all and retaliate at some point, and you may have some serious squabbling.

I wouldn't worry about the baby starving. You can weigh him daily (preferably in the morning before breakfast) to make sure he isn't losing weight. If he is, put a temporary divider between them while they eat veggies, or take one out and put it in a laundry basket to eat.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your help :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally agree with everything @bpatters said. I have two "young" boars (They're a year and a half old now) and they're STILL rumbling at each other, mounting, you name it. There's no real squabbling unless Scooter goes over to the divider to see Sly, then Punkin gets obsternate and nippy with him. Other than that as long as they don't hurt each other and draw blood, they should be just fine.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Thank you [emoji4]

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Okay so I put them both togethwr and things have been great. They both have been eating and drinking normally. But lately my oldest doesn't like to sit in my lap for long which isn't normal at all. He normally sits on my chest for 30 minutes but he won't even make it to 5.
If I take Cosmo out, my youngest, my oldest will start biting the cage and making noises.

I feel like he's mad at me but I didn't think they could be mad at their owner.

Is there anything I can do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@bridgetann1295, please don't make multiple posts that are identical. People who read the forum usually read all the new posts, so posting once is enough.

I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.