Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My guinea pig is limping, what to do?

BeefEater

Cavy Slave
Hello, one of my two guinea pigs is limping, my mother reported it today and i went check it out, her body temperature raised up a little bit and she isn't running and eating normally and hide a much more from us. I think it may be a problem with her right leg, but when i checked it, i didn't see any visible problem with it, i also checked for lumps or bumblefoot but i didn't recall seeing anything, Maybe you fellas understand more of what's going on and see it differently. So, have you guys experienced this before? Feedback will be very helpful for me and sorry for the lack of pictures, i don't want to bother her much, thanks for reading.

Attachments

IMG_20210920_095449901.jpg IMG_20210920_095500389.jpg IMG_20210920_095505532_HDR.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you have some extra grids (or can get some), use zip ties to create a smaller area in the cage so that her movement is restricted and the other pig can't bother her. Don't put her in a new cage, because then you'll just have to reintroduce them.

If it clears up in a few days with this confinement, that'll be good. Otherwise, or if it gets worse, you need a vet visit for an x-ray.

Is there any way she could have injured the leg in the cage? Jumped off a ramp or loft? Got her foot caught in the wires?

BeefEater

Cavy Slave
If you have some extra grids (or can get some), use zip ties to create a smaller area in the cage so that her movement is restricted and the other pig can't bother her. Don't put her in a new cage, because then you'll just have to reintroduce them.

If it clears up in a few days with this confinement, that'll be good. Otherwise, or if it gets worse, you need a vet visit for an x-ray.

Is there any way she could have injured the leg in the cage? Jumped off a ramp or loft? Got her foot caught in the wires?

Hi, thank you so much for responding, your advice will sure save my life later.

I started giving her medication, 3 drops of avitrin, 11 hours til another dose, it was recommended by a veterinary at the local petshop and i didn't even paid for it, after a few minutes she was walking and running normally, yet i'm going to continue with the medication and cut it when i'm sure she is totally cleaned.

My cage don't have ramps neither lofts, but i guess she could have got into a fight with my other guinea pig and accidentaly hurt herself, when i came to her cage the next moment my mother reported what had happened, my other guinea pig was really stressed and was confronting her, they don't normally fight, but i will keep an eye on them more often. :)!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are several Avitrin products. Which one is she taking?

BeefEater

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He thinks an infection is why she's limping? That's pretty unlikely.

BeefEater

Cavy Slave
I apologize for the wording, she said an infection may happen because of the wound, i'm not sure either if the medication helped her heal faster but i believe it's sort of a prevention

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does this vet routinely treat guinea pigs? Because they have so many digestive problems when taking antibiotics, those drugs are not usually given to prevent an infection, only to treat an existing one. And there's nothing about a limp that suggests infection.

BeefEater

Cavy Slave
Does this vet routinely treat guinea pigs?
Not sure about routinely, but she treats guinea pigs and other rodents. She runs a petshop 5 minutes from my house

Because they have so many digestive problems when taking antibiotics, those drugs are not usually given to prevent an infection, only to treat an existing one. And there's nothing about a limp that suggests infection.
That is very comprehensive and made me think hard, whoever she has more knowledge than me
and im putting my guinea pig's health on game and for now i don't know where to move, and with your said on mind i'm cautious if suddenly everything take a bad turn, is it okay if i still give her medication tomorrow then cut it out? i don't want contradict the vet's prescription, also, my guinea pigs is walking normally now so whatever the medicine should solve, i think it would be done by then.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to decide for yourself what to do. If it were me, I wouldn't have given it in the first place. But I'd certainly stop it now.

However, you may want to talk to your vet tomorrow and see what she says.

BeefEater

Cavy Slave
You'll have to decide for yourself what to do. If it were me, I wouldn't have given it in the first place. But I'd certainly stop it now.

However, you may want to talk to your vet tomorrow and see what she says.

Thank you so much for the support, i will see what i can do tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.