Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Essential oil room spray

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding_wood.html
https://guineapigsaustralia.com.au/unsafe_bedding.htm
https://www.onlineguineapigcare.com/guinea-pig-bedding-options/
https://jackiesguineapiggies.com/beddingformyguineapigs.html
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

A vet school's guinea pig care sheet

(broken link removed)

Do these work or are you looking for ones that mention peppermint oil specifically?
im not spraying over or in the piggies cage it will just be around my room

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Like I had said, figure out why your cage is smelling and don't try to mask it. If you mask it, the smell could be made worse or it could not last long enough causing you to use it much more often.

Our animals have a very sensitive smell. Many of the products we use to smell good end up smelling 10x stronger to our pets. Have you ever smelt someone who used way too much perfume? Imagine smelling that all the time. Yeah, not good. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten onto my BIL for his excessive use of his AXE Body Spray. His room is literally 8 yards from my pigs' cage. That stuff gives ME a headache. I can only imagine my poor pigs' feelings about it. I know they sneeze quite a bit when he uses it.

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Small animals lungs, including those of rodents and birds, are very small. They can get serious respiratory issues if the air they are breathing is filled with chemicals from things like perfumes or scents in the air. It even cautions on the back of Febreze cans to not spray them around birds (who, like guinea pigs, have small-sized lungs).

My cage would start to smell if I didn't scoop wet bedding out of the hay/litter box, or if I didn't daily vacuum up poops. Are you completely cleaning out your cage every 7 days (if you have an appropriately sized cc cage) or earlier if you have a smaller one?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Why can't you just answer how many pigs you have and how big the cage is? What bedding are you using?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave

Issue with that is the oranges will stop smelling within a few weeks AND you're wasting food that you could of been eating.

Why can't you just answer how many pigs you have and how big the cage is? What bedding are you using?

I totally agree with this. It would be much more beneficial to find out what exactly the parents are smelling and finding a solution to that. Even finding out the cage cleaning habits, sweeping poos twice a day as opposed to once a day can dramatically cut down the smell.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Trust me OP, I've been there and done that with all these air freshener stuff. I literally have only ONE all natural freshener remedy and it is only used in the bathroom. It is not a strong scent and you don't smell it out here in the living room. And we live in a 900 some odd square foot apartment. I do use Fabreeze, but it is only sprayed in the kitchen trash can outside when changing the bag and it is also left out there to air out all day. I will not expose my animals to 99% of air fresheners.

These scents and sprays only mask. They never remove the order. And masking often makes the smell much more worse and can harm your animals.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Sorry I didn't notice your comment. I use fleece and have three different cages 1 3x5 with 8 piggies 1 2x4 with one pig and 1 2x3!with one baby piggie

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@MrWhistles Actually they stay smelling for months and the smell isn't that noticeable but still helps with the piggie odor

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Fresh fruit doesn't even last for months

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didn't notice your comment. I use fleece and have three different cages 1 3x5 with 8 piggies 1 2x4 with one pig and 1 2x3!with one baby piggie

What are your cage cleaning routines?
Is there ant chance you can bond the lone pigs into a larger cage? Maybe use 1 or 2 pigs from the largest cage?(trying to divide up the messes here)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Probably just need to change the underlayers of your fleece more often instead of masking the odors. If you're having smelly cages its because of the urine not the poop. Guinea pig poop is odorless. To get rid of the urine smell you need to launder the towels/uhaul (whatever absorbent material you use) more frequently.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok well my friend has had hers for month and it still smells good sure the fruit is a bit brown but not moldy

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I wish I just had to separate them because they have lumps so they can be with the herd for a while

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Lumps? What kinda lumps?
Also, what's you're layers? Even in my trio, 2 uhual layers wasn't enough. A 3rd might of helped, but I had decided to go the disposable route for now.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have 4 in a 3x6 and they poo and pee like crazy, if it wasn't for a lot of that in the kitchen, I probably have to clean the cage sooner.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If you have boars, you could be smelling boar scent from butt dragging/scent marking.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you have boars, you could be smelling boar scent from butt dragging/scent marking.
I am guessing boars are just stinkier anyways. I know the young guys were cleaner until i adopted the old guys and they stopped being neat. That is why i have such a huge area for a kitchen/hay box.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.