Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fur on fleece clogging up washing machine.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
The girls fur gets stuck on the fleece and comes off during the wash causing the cloths that go in after that to get covered with fur. Is there anyway to stop that? I have tried putting the fleece in pillow cases but the fleece just comes out during the wash.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get tight mesh laundry bags which will catch most of it. Or you can knot the end of the pillow case, or wind pony tail bands around the end of it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use a mesh laundry bag designed for washing horse cloths like blankets and numnahs, so they're large enough to fit a lot of fleece in. Works just fine for me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie, those wonderful horse tack washing sacks are only available in the UK. At a reasonable cost, that is. We don't apparently have any such thing over here.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@bpatters I just assumed since the one I got was linked to me by a US member (can't remember who) that it was readily available there too. You'd think in a country where riding is fairly popular some company would have jumped on the chance to market something like that.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I would be concerned about the fleece not getting completely clean through a pillowcase or mesh bag. Is that not an issue?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Have you tried vacuuming or brushing the fleece off first? I've found that my rubber brush gets a lot of the hair off. After I wash the fleece I just take a swiffer cloth to the inside of my machine to get any stray hairs or bits of hay off the sides of the machine. I've not had any trouble with hair on my clothes after.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I shake mine out really well, then use the rubber brush that barbaramudge is talking about.

Then after the load is done, I vacuum the washing machine out.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Have you tried vacuuming or brushing the fleece off first? I've found that my rubber brush gets a lot of the hair off. After I wash the fleece I just take a swiffer cloth to the inside of my machine to get any stray hairs or bits of hay off the sides of the machine. I've not had any trouble with hair on my clothes after.

I do but it dosnt get everything out. I found this on amazon. (broken link removed) do you think it would work?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It gets cleaned perfectly fine in a pillowcase or mesh bag. Sometimes you'll have a little ball of hay to throw away, but the water and the soap are what cleans the fleece, and it goes through the sack the same as it does through anything else you wash.

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave
I shake mine off a little then use a lint roller on it for a few minutes to get a lot of the hair off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.