Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Minniesmom's Pigs

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
What a cute piggy! I love their colourings. I will echo what was already said though... I hope you are able to get your girls a bigger cage!
I will on the 1st. This is just temporary. I would make one but I need something really secure because I have 3 cats and a large dog. My dog is so excited about phoebe. She sat crying for 30 minutes or so. She was raised around guinea pigs so she really loves them. Prue and phoebe are getting along. Prue already established that she's the boss. Lol. I've missed having guinea pigs.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I will on the 1st. This is just temporary. I would make one but I need something really secure because I have 3 cats and a large dog. My dog is so excited about phoebe. She sat crying for 30 minutes or so. She was raised around guinea pigs so she really loves them. Prue and phoebe are getting along. Prue already established that she's the boss. Lol. I've missed having guinea pigs.

That's great! I'm glad that Prue and Phoebe are getting along fine : ). Here is a cool idea I saw on Guinealynx the other day, it seems pretty dog/cat proof to me! Maybe you can do something like this?
IMG_20180729_122758457.jpg

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
That's great! I'm glad that Prue and Phoebe are getting along fine : ). Here is a cool idea I saw on Guinealynx the other day, it seems pretty dog/cat proof to me! Maybe you can do something like this?
View attachment 85284
What would I need to get? How would I do it?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
What would I need to get? How would I do it?
That's called a C&C cage and they're super affordable and easy to make. I think for two sows it needs to be the size of that cage pictured, minimum. The grids can be purchased at walmart for around $20CAD, and the blue piece of the cage is called corrugated plastic, or coroplast. Home Hardware would have coroplast, but a cheaper option would be going to a sign shop ($20CAD for a full sheet, which is more than enough for a cage). It's really hard to explain how to make the cage, but I promise, it's SUPER easy. There are tons of Youtube tutorials on it. I have a 3x6 grid cage and it cost me under $100! For the top of the cage to keep it sealed off to your other animals, I think closet shelving is used here, but you can also just use more grids.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
That's called a C&C cage and they're super affordable and easy to make. I think for two sows it needs to be the size of that cage pictured, minimum. The grids can be purchased at walmart for around $20CAD, and the blue piece of the cage is called corrugated plastic, or coroplast. Home Hardware would have coroplast, but a cheaper option would be going to a sign shop ($20CAD for a full sheet, which is more than enough for a cage). It's really hard to explain how to make the cage, but I promise, it's SUPER easy. There are tons of Youtube tutorials on it. I have a 3x6 grid cage and it cost me under $100! For the top of the cage to keep it sealed off to your other animals, I think closet shelving is used here, but you can also just use more grids.
I don't understand any of the materials

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I don't understand any of the materials
Ok, so the black grids you see at the front of the cage are these. They can be purchased at a variety of places, Walmart, Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond. The blue part of the cage is the bottom of the cage, and it's waterproof so it's very easy to clean. That part is the coroplast, here is an example. But like I said, a sign shop will sell them cheaper. If you're lazy like me, you can get someone else to assemble it for you or buy it from guineapigcagesstore. The one I linked already had a lid built into the cage. It might seem a little expensive, but it's pretty much impossible to find a cage at the petstore that meets the minimum required size for guinea pigs. They need A LOT of room! Just search "C&C cage tutorial" on Youtube and you will quickly understand all of the materials and how to use them.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That’s a beautiful space for piggies but I’d never trust it that close to the floor with a dog. I’ve had fox terriers over the years and even though they only weigh 20 pounds they’d tear that cage apart. It’s in their DNA to chase and kill rodents. If it was on a sturdy table at bar height with no way to climb up, then maybe. But when the piggies start running the instinct to chase kicks in. Just my cautious nature it makes me nervous.
((⊙.☉))

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Re: I'm back.

... But I'm gonna check into chewy.com and see if I can order her stuff off there. I don't know if I can because I've never used them. Have You?

I use Chewy.com and have been impressed with prices and service. Quick delivery, free shipping over $49, and the prices of hay and vitamins are in line with our local humane society, which is far less that most pet stores. I support the humane society for the most part, but sometimes they only have the small bags of hay which isn?t cost effective - only good for emergencies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
C&C cages are very strong and sturdy if you clip the grids into the connectors with a pair of pliers and zip tie all the corners so the grids are snugged together.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I checked out that link to the closet shelving cage - how nice! That really looks solid and what a great space. Those piggies can run like the wind in a 60” long cage!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had a closet shelving cage for as long as I've had guinea pigs. They're not as easy to remodel as cubes, but are much sturdier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.