Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Gnarled nails

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
I've had two boats for almost a year now, but I'm having trouble cutting the nails on one of my pigs. He's a brown abyssinian, so my fiance and I are having trouble cutting his nails. It's gotten to the point where his nails on his front paws (we've managed to keep the back ones fine). I watch some YouTube guides that suggested snipping off just the tips each week instead of every other week/every month. However now our abyssinian suddenly decided he has an abject fear of nail clipping (more so than usual). He additionally suddenly has a problem with me trying to get Boar glue off his bum, as he so desperately tried getting out of the sink that he had no qualms about dropping to his death. Can anyone give me tips? I've tried bribing him with vegetables but he ignores them. I obviously can't let him go with janked up feet, but he won't let me. He moves and fidgets and squeaks whether he's actually in pain or not. There's also no vet or groomer nearby, as they're considered "exotic" where I am

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm assuming that you mean two "boars"? :rolleyes:

Nail trimming is never a happy time at my house......either for the boys or for me. Do you have the proper tools to accomplish the task? Human nail clippers will often torque the nail or split it. Best method is to use scissors meant for bird or kitten nails like those pictured below. My boys don't mind the scissors, but they hate the Dremel that I used to smooth the rough edges and go one step farther and add a dab of clear nail polish on the ends. I have very fragile skin and would be a mass of cuts and scratches if I didn't go the extra steps. I don't expect everyone to go to those lengths, but am just sharing what works for me.

I'm assuming that your boy(s) has some black nails? You really have to be a bit conservative when cutting them as it is all too easy to cut to the quick. I do all the boys' grooming single-handedly and have arrived at a method that works for me. Most of us use the "burrito" method. Take a small hand towel and wrap him up tightly like a burrito. You will hold him against your body using your arm with your non-dominant hand, leaving the other to wield the scissors. Expose the back feet first and clip. Turn him around and expose one front paw at a time while keeping him fairly tightly wrapped. Be proactive and wear nitrile gloves for this in case he bites. And, as always, be sure to have some quik-stop, cornstarch, or flour on hand to stop the bleeding in case you cut too deeply.

I'm assuming that you are an adult male and can easily overpower a 2.5 lb cavy? lol

Nail scissors.jpg

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
I do use the pet trimmers of course lol and the burrito method is actually a great idea. I'm just stressed because some of his nails are actually corkscrewing and I wanna trim them but I'm not sure how far I can go without cutting the quick, as I've heard that the quick can extend further out than usual in these cases. It's hard to gauge whether or not I'm actually hurting him until I cut him because he's dramatic and squeaks no matter what

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could get your vet to trim the front ones to the right length, and then you could keep them trimmed.

As for the boar glue, I'd just leave it alone. It will eventually come out, or the hair it's stuck on will grow long enough that you can easily trim it off.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can someone help you hold a flashlight under the nail you're cutting? You should be able to see where the quick ends.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm just stressed because some of his nails are actually corkscrewing and I wanna trim them but I'm not sure how far I can go without cutting the quick,

If the nails are that bad, then I absolutely agree with @bpatters. I would have the nails professionally trimmed to the proper length and then keep up the maintenance thereafter. It is said that the "quick" begins to recede in time. Nail trims aren't expensive and I'm assuming that almost any Vet could do them, perhaps even an experienced pet groomer.

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure the vets nearby would trim our pig's nails, but I did come up with a crack solution. My fiance and I use a headlamp to better see what we're doing, so I had the idea to put the head lamp down in front of our 'patient' and put his paw over it. The light shone through the nails and I was able to trim some super easily. I of course have to go for round 2 this weekend, as he is exceptionally fidgety with that particular paw, but so far it's worked out great

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I am glad you were able to get the nails trimmed! I might copy your headlamp idea lol

For black nails I just trim a little bit off. As long as you are deligent with it eventually you will get the nailed trimmed nice.

Do you do all four paws at once? I have a squirmy male as well, it is so much easier if I only do two paws wait a day and then do the other two. He does better as well because he gets a break so it is not as stressful for both of us. We are still working on the front paws but by doing this I can do the back with hardly any struggle.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
it is so much easier if I only do two paws wait a day and then do the other two.

You obviously have more patience than I do! I have a grooming session (usually once a month) where I trim nails, clean ears, and inspect and clean genitals....one boy after the other. That way the "trauma" is over in short order for all of us.

I tried using a flashlight to illuminate the nails, but couldn't hold the squirming cavy plus the implements plus the light. However, the idea of the headlamp intrigues me. :)

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
You obviously have more patience than I do! I have a grooming session (usually once a month) where I trim nails, clean ears, and inspect and clean genitals....one boy after the other. That way the "trauma" is over in short order for all of us.

I tried using a flashlight to illuminate the nails, but couldn't hold the squirming cavy plus the implements plus the light. However, the idea of the headlamp intrigues me. :)

Hehe is is more trying to avoid getting bit. After the the two weeks of meds and incision checking, my former unfazed piggy has taken to biting hard anytime he is held up for more then a few seconds. My husband now wears gloves when I trim because he bites down hard.

I do like your monthly health routine. I am impressed you do all that by yourself, especially the nails.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.