Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What are Abyssinians?

acissej

Cavy Slave
I'm just curious if Abyssinians are totally separate from something like Peruvians or Shorthairs? It seems odd that there would be pure if they can all interbreed. It would seem like they'd all be muddled except the purebreds people breed. Is this true?

Also, just curious what you think my girls are, if Peppa is a Roan? NO I'm not breeding! I was just curious. :)
Squeaky is white w/ gray head, Strawberry is red short hair, Pebbles is brown crazy hair, Peppa is gray crazy hair.

piggies.jpgDSC_9526.jpgWP_20140615_006.jpgWP_20140615_011.jpg

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Like @ThePigAlchemist said, guinea pig breeds are determined by hair type. An Abyssinian is simply a guinea pig with a series of rosettes down the body. They are sometimes called, "The bedhead pigs" because of their crazy hair. Abyssinian is a breed, just like a Peruvian or American shorthair.

As for your pigs - Squeeky & Strawberry are American shorthairs. Pebbles & Peppa do look to have a bit of Abyssinian in them but their hair is shorter almost like they had a haircut recently

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.