Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Quick cooling?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Our pigs have frozen bottles and ice packs that I've been rotating every few hours, but I'm still concerned about the heat. There isn't a single part of my apartment that is below 80°, most rooms are near 85°. So far the boys seem alert and normal, but what should I do if I need to quickly cool them down?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They should be fine with the frozen bottles and ice packs. Do you have a fan to circulate the air?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Yes, we have fans. How many bottles per pig should we have at a time in the cage? They melt so quickly, but we try to keep two cold things in the cage per pig at a time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on the size. Two-liter soda bottles work well, because they're thick enough to stay cool for several hours. You just need somewhere they can cool off when the temperature is getting too hot for them.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Good idea. We'll have to make some room in the freezer, but I've been planning on doing that anyway.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@bpatters this may sound dumb but they are smart enough to seek the cold packs when they get to hot for sure right? I don't know how else to phrase that. One of my girls likes to lay near it but the other doesn't seem to so I just assumed she must not feel like she's to hot. Would she for sure use it if she needed to? Sometimes I worry about her. Their area doesn't often get above 80 and they have a fan but sometimes it gets close to 85 there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@barbaramudge, I'm not sure of the answer to that, as our air conditioning, thankfully, has never gone out since we've had guinea pigs. But I assume they'll find the place that's most comfortable to them. If they have their own chosen place in the cage, it may help to put the ice pack there, or close to it, so it's pretty apparent to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.