Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Any green hay this year??

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@terrijanson I personally purchase my 50 pound boxes at a pet supply store called Ren's Pet Depot. They carry the big Oxbow Timothy boxes in store or you can special order the Orchard grass.

This would only apply if you lived in Southern Ontario though, as they only have locations there.

There are a few other Canadian options that I know of. Online through Flowertown Chinchillas, online through Canadian Pet Connection or online through the piggles guinea pig rescue store. I have also heard that some home hardwares that have pet sections can special order in the big boxes.

If you're not in Canada, none of the above applies and I don't really know about the best options for the US or internationally, although I'm sure another member could point you in the right direction if needed.

terrijanson

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I am in Michigan USA

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Jackpot folks! Ordered Sat orchard grass from sierra and got it today. Green and very little brown!! VERY pleased and so is Mooshy! Bonus is it's $3 cheaper than SPS orchard grass for the 10 lbs I got.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My order from SPS a few weeks ago, 20 pounds of Orchard grass was very nice. I can double check put I think mine shipped out from Kentucky. There's a tiny bit of brown but almost all is green, long strand, and it smells divine. Makes my smile every time I go downstairs to refill my hay bags :)

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
Does anyone else get their timothy hay and/or orchard grass from Edited by bpatters? I always get my hay from there because that's what my guinea pigs prefer. I usually get a 50 lbs. box of 3rd cut hay and it has this cinnamon smell to it. I love the smell of it and my 2 guinea pigs eat it up so quick. Every time I go into their room they are always munching and laying on it.

Edited by bpatters: We don't promote that site on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigger123

Cavy Slave
What site do we not promote? It would help to know if there's a reason why I shouldn't order from them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, we're not trying to get anyone to boycott it. It just doesn't get mentioned.

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
Sorry, we're not trying to get anyone to boycott it. It just doesn't get mentioned.

Why can't I mention it? If I would have known I wouldn't have.

heavengirl1390

Cavy Gazer
I definitely agree with you on KMS. My last box of KMS bluegrass was also yellow and brown.

After reading so many review on SPS, I ended up purchasing total of 20 lbs. of 2nd cut timothy hay and orchard grass hay. My babies were so disappointed. They barely nibbled the hay. The hay were dry, brown, and very tough.

Even though, Oxbow orchard hay is quite dusty and choppy, it is fresh and green. And my babies eat most of it without complaint. Best wishes on your hay adventures and keep us updated on your hay search! :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I definitely agree with you on KMS. My last box of KMS bluegrass was also yellow and brown.

After reading so many review on SPS, I ended up purchasing total of 20 lbs. of 2nd cut timothy hay and orchard grass hay. My babies were so disappointed. They barely nibbled the hay. The hay were dry, brown, and very tough.

Even though, Oxbow orchard hay is quite dusty and choppy, it is fresh and green. And my babies eat most of it without complaint. Best wishes on your hay adventures and keep us updated on your hay search! :)

I'm curious, do you know where your SPS hay shipped out of? Mine has always been beautiful so I'm wondering if it has to do with what part of the country your in. I have another 50lbs coming tomorrow so I'll be interested to see how it is.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@spydoc Mine says Kentucky on the FedEx thing but if you look at the tracking details it seems to start out in Indiana. Does yours come from the same location?

Artista

Cavy Slave
No one going to try Sierra Valley I linked? Not much brown at all and thick green grass!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Too expensive. It's nearly twice what KMS or SPS costs me.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Too expensive. It's nearly twice what KMS or SPS costs me.
It's $3 cheaper for 10 lbs orchard grass than SPS. Unless you are ordering from the East. After disaster with SPS and KMS I was willing to dish out about anything to get Mooshy some nice green grass hay and I'd say it's 90% green maybe more! Her poops are up again as she wasn't eating those 2.

lissie

Cavy Slave
No one going to try Sierra Valley I linked? Not much brown at all and thick green grass!
I've been quietly following this thread. I placed an order for 2nd cut orchard last week, and got the hay next day after ordering.

It's green and smells great.

They also gave me free sample of oat hay.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I made a mistake with the earlier post. I actually ordered from Sierra Valley so will be able to compare when it arrives.

Looking forward to your findings. I got 50pounds for 48$ that's less than $1 a pound. I hope it's as nice as the last two were.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How did you get 50 pounds for $48, @barbaramudge? I don't see anything on the Sierra Valley site that works out to that price.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
How did you get 50 pounds for $48, @barbaramudge? I don't see anything on the Sierra Valley site that works out to that price.

Whoops, sorry! SPS is where I ordered from!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.