Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables What do you think of my veggie list?

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
This is what I give my 2 pigs

Green bell peppers - Daily

Carrots - Every other day

Romaine lettuce - daily

Cherry tomatoes - daily

Celery - every other day

is it good? Do I need to change anything? What can I add? Preferably veggies that can be fed daily or almost every day

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Another daily yummy veggies are cucumbers and zucchini!

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks :) I'll add zucchini to my everyday feeding and cucumber to often because I've heard it isn't very high in nutrients

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
Oops just realized I forgot to include the word will in my first post. I meant to say This is what I WILL give my 2 pigs. Currently I give them baby carrots maybe once a week because my mom won't buy them veggies. I asked her to get some from the store today and she asked why so I told her that they are even more important than pellets and she said "but that's why we feed them fortified food" *facepalm* the pellets we feed are alfalfa meal based and mainly junk and I can't get oxbow till we are done with these junk pellets. How can I convince her my boys needs veggies?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd skip the romaine and do red or green leaf lettuce instead. You may save your pig some stone problems somewhere down the line.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You don't want romaine anything instead try red or green leaf lettuce. My boys also like cucumbers. You can also feed other color bell peppers.

The pellets should only make up 5 % of a pigs diet. You can also show her some info from the diet forum. I also have a print out of the veggie chart from their. Of course you don't want to push her into reading just maybe encourage her to check it out. I would just put all your research into a journal or power point and present it to your parents.

Last edited:

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll skip the romaine :)

when I wanted to build a c&c cage, I printed out all the info and put it in a folder and gave it to my parents, it worked, but they got kinda mad for printing everything so I have to write everything now

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could do a power point presentation if you have that available.

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
Sadly, my laptop is broken. So I can use our family desktop but I will never have a chance to work on it without someone seeing or asking what I'm doing or hanging over my shoulder.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
When I was still living with my parents I convinced them to buy my guinea pigs vegetables by calmly explaining about their dietary needs (especially how lack of vitamin C will cause scurvy). When that didn't work I said,"You want me to be responsible for them, and I am trying to. I am trying to give them the best care I possibly can and you aren't letting me. Isn't a part of being responsible for pets making sure they are healthy, well diet is a big part of that."

That really hit home with my mother, before this I had offered to pay for all of the veg myself as I had a job, but my mother did the shopping and couldn't take me with her very often but didn't really see the point of all the veg.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Like bpatters and others have said. I would skip romaine lettuce all together and give them red/green leafy lettuce. Romaine caused my girls to urinate more calcium spots than red/green lettuce has.

Christin Barnes

Cavy Slave
I just fed my pig some romaine too! I had bought green leaf at first but I am going to switch back to red or green leaf today because I'm out of lettuce now so I'm glad I read this before I head to the store. I also give my pig cucumbers because it's really hot here in FL and they say cucumbers can provide a little extra hydration and I personally love cucumbers so I want piggy to enjoy them too. I tried giving him zucchini and he hated it; won't even touch it. Guinea pigs apparently have likes and dislikes so I've learned from that. I just gave him some broccoli last week and he didn't eat it the first day but now seems to enjoy it. I also give him carrot (very small amount) and celery (cut small to prevent choking) and bell pepper daily. I haven't tried tomatoes yet. I've also tried giving a bit of fruit but only once a week and he doesn't really like it so I suppose that's a good thing.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@Christin Barnes Oh yes they definitely have their own preference in foods.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Go easy on the broccoli and the cucumber. Both can cause gas and possible bloating. Guinea pigs usually drink enough that you don't have to worry about hydrating them with cucumbers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.