Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Back to school lunches?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I've been reading and searching for things I can bring to school with me this year, and I haven't found a whole lot of stuff. I've been searching vegan recipes, because I'm a lactose intolerant vegetarian. I can't do cheese, or yogurt or anything like that. I have soy puddings, and soy cream cheese which turned out to be really good :)

What type of stuff do you guys bring for lunch?

I also don't have a lunch period this year because of how my school works out, technically my lunch is from 1:45-3 (when school ends) so I can just leave at 1:45. I'm going to snack in my classes through out the day anyways. Not physics, or rhythm and movement though. And likely not health care. Oh well, I'll figuire it out.

I've really grown tired of peanut butter sandwiches :p

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I know what your going through, I am also a lactose intolerant vegetarian. MY high school gave me me lunch at the last bell.

My mom bought containers to hold salad, other than that its basically peanut butter jelly sandwiches.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
ANOTHER Lactose intolerant vegetarian :O that's exciting!
I've found many recipes for chili, stew etc. I'm going to try to make tofu nuggets. I've never had good luck with tofu. I also found a lot of soup recipes. I'm planning on making up a bunch of pots of things and just freezing them in individual servings.

TracyHaden

Cavy Slave
I did a google search for for dariy free veggie recipes and this is one of the pages I found. I hope you can find some different stuff to munch. Hopefully some of the recipes are freezable. You could also try fried tomatoes in a peta pocket or wrap.

(broken link removed)

Last edited:

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I havent tried tofu, its hard because we cant cook the food at school. Thanks for the link ill check that out!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Tofu is really easy to make. The best thing to do before marinating is to wrap it up in paper towels and soak off the water it sits in (can take up to 1 hour). That way you make room for the marinade to saturate in. Also make a veganaise (vegan mayo) for sandwiches (Google for a home recipe or buy @ health food store), you can add your favorite spices like chipotle, garlic, sun dried tomato's to make a nice spread with veggies for a sandwich.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
hmm, thanks @kananaka I never thoought about making vegan mayo my self. I am leaning towards a more vegan approach. I REALLY like the idea of making garlic mayo for sandwiches. I'm going to get some bread and things too, for the freezer. That way I'll have wraps, pitas, submarine rolls and regular whole wheat rolls on hand for sandwiches.

Everytime I use tofu it turns out nasty. I'm not a bad cook, I've been cutting potato since I was three (With a plastic knife, I must add) I've NEVER had luck with making tofu stir fry or anything. I found a recipe for tofu nuggets that I want to try. It gets expensive buying mock meats, but we buy it when it's 50% off and then freeze it. I prefer to just not use it. Except for tofurky. I love that stuff.

Yeah, cooking the food at school is impossible. I think something I can do is bring a packet of noodles (the oriental kind) without the seasonings or anything. I can make up some veggies and things and bring that seperately to add. My school has hot water readily available, and people use that for mr. noodle and things. That would be a fun idea. I COULD MAKE SOOUP! I'd bring half a vegetarian boullion cube, dissolve in hot water and add some other stuff.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
hmm, thanks @kananaka I never thoought about making vegan mayo my self. I am leaning towards a more vegan approach. I REALLY like the idea of making garlic mayo for sandwiches. I'm going to get some bread and things too, for the freezer. That way I'll have wraps, pitas, submarine rolls and regular whole wheat rolls on hand for sandwiches.

Everytime I use tofu it turns out nasty. I'm not a bad cook, I've been cutting potato since I was three (With a plastic knife, I must add) I've NEVER had luck with making tofu stir fry or anything. I found a recipe for tofu nuggets that I want to try. It gets expensive buying mock meats, but we buy it when it's 50% off and then freeze it. I prefer to just not use it. Except for tofurky. I love that stuff.

Yeah, cooking the food at school is impossible. I think something I can do is bring a packet of noodles (the oriental kind) without the seasonings or anything. I can make up some veggies and things and bring that seperately to add. My school has hot water readily available, and people use that for mr. noodle and things. That would be a fun idea. I COULD MAKE SOOUP! I'd bring half a vegetarian boullion cube, dissolve in hot water and add some other stuff.
What kind of tofu are you making? is it the dry boxed stuff or the ones stored in water in the fridge section? Is it firm, extra firm and how long do you marinade it? I find marinating it for at least 1 hour then baking it in a wet (not thick) marinade (submerge it in the so it is all covered) for 1/2 hour-1hour then using it in a recipe (stir fry, cold salad etc..) really adds a lot of flavor. If not properly marinated tofu taste like nothing to me lol.

Also try tempeh. It is so delicious and easy to cook with and has a more meaty texture than tofu. You must boil the tempeh a little first, 10 min usually does the trick.

Check out this web site Welcome to VegWeb.com | The World's Largest Collection of Vegetarian Recipes tons of recipes and all free.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
My parents think I wont like tofu, so they wont buy it. The vegetarian pre made products are getting expensive.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I buy the extra firm tofu that comes in a packet with water. I tried marinating it for a few hours once and adding it to stir fry and it was still gross. I think it's the texture that puts me off. I do think if I marinate the nuggets in vegan mock 'chicken' bouillon it will add flavour.

@xXMaggieXx if you go to most places, they have a 50% off area, or there might be stickers on some that say 50% off. Honestly, the stuff freezes well for the most part. When the yves veggie ground round is on for half price, we pick up a few packs and freeze them.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Awesome ill have a look this weekend!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
I buy the extra firm tofu that comes in a packet with water. I tried marinating it for a few hours once and adding it to stir fry and it was still gross. I think it's the texture that puts me off. I do think if I marinate the nuggets in vegan mock 'chicken' bouillon it will add flavour.

@xXMaggieXx if you go to most places, they have a 50% off area, or there might be stickers on some that say 50% off. Honestly, the stuff freezes well for the most part. When the yves veggie ground round is on for half price, we pick up a few packs and freeze them.

Yeah the texture can be off putting. I really recommend trying tempeh. It is way more firm then tofu.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Ill have to look for that. Our local farmers market has a store vegetarians ad vegans, I want to go to this weekend. Ill have a look for tofu and tempeh

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
how do you prepare tempeh? I've never seen that.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Boil it 1st for like 10 min (I find this helps it soak up the marinade) then cut it up and marinate it, the longer the better. Then cook by baking, stir fry, grill, what ever. My favorite way is a soy sauce (or tamari) based sauce and putting it in a stir fry. It has a much firmer texture then tofu but is also made from soy beans Tempeh

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
Homemade bento boxes!

Nowadays, it's very popular in Japan (and the trend is coming to America) to pack very cute, colorful, healthy lunches in small lunch boxes. Some people use them as an opportunity to let their artistic side show:
bento_9.jpg

But you don't need to be quite so skilled, I promise! Mine usually look a mess, but they taste great. And you can make them overnight and stick them in the fridge so you don't have to do any work in the morning.

You can find all sorts of vegan bento recipes online, because so much of Japanese cuisine is naturally vegan. One good website is JustBento, but there are plenty more out there.

In general, a good way to get more variety in your diet is to explore foods from around the world. Lots of other cultures, including Japanese, Indian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and Ethiopian, have tons of easy new vegetarian and vegan recipes just waiting for you to try out. Check out Recipes Around the World for a massive repository of amazing cuisine.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I started to get more creative than snadwiches this year. Last year my (then 6 year old) would only eat cheese sandwiches, nothing else. So over the summer we sat down and looked at Bento and other things like that. I am by far not that creative and she has a short time frame to eat it all (she is a slow eater). Today is the first day of school here and this is her lunch:

DSCF7786.jpg

Carrots, home made chicken cesar salad wraps (with chicken from last night and lettuce), home made blue berry muffin and some gummy bears. Today is 10% off at Save-on-foods so I had to be creative until I can go shopping tonight. She also has a water bottle. Perfect lunch for a gr. 2 student. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.