Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay How do I select a good bale of Timothy hay?

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Today I'm driving to a (somewhat) nearby feed store to buy a bale of Timothy hay. My mold allergies (the type of mold that grows in hay bales) have gotten pretty bad and so I'm on a quest to find a hay without mold. Honestly, my symptoms are to the point that if I cannot find a hay that doesn't irritate me, I will have to rehome my pigs. Myself and my kids would be heartbroken to do that, but I cannot live with eyes that are swollen and itchy and headaches all the time (and yes, I've done many thing to reduce my exposure to the pigs, keep them in a separate room, bought an air purifier, wear a mask when cleaning, take allergy medication every day, etc.).

But anyway, what are some tips to picking out a good bale of Timothy hay? Should I expect it to be all green, mostly green? What are the signs of mold I should watch out for? Other tips? Thank you!

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
It's most likely you are allergic to the hay, rather than the pigs. Timothy hay is one of the worst offenders. Have you tried a different type of hay, such as orchard or bluegrass?

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Good questions @magicpiggie . However, I think that is a common misconception. I had allergy testing done a few months ago, so I know for sure what my allergies are. I am not allergic to the pigs. I'm strongly allergic to a few types of mold that grow in hay. I'm mildly allergic to Timothy. I'm moderately allergic to Orchard and Bluegrass.

I started with Timothy and had symptoms. Then I switched to Orchard and still had symptoms. That's what led me to allergy testing.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm sorry. I read your post wrong. My apologies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The hay should be dry, and should never have been gotten wet, if you can determine that. And it should be mostly green, although there will always be a few brown strands in it.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Good tips, thanks. It's actually raining lightly today, so it's good that I will be able to confirm if it is actually stored in a dry place!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.