Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General That's not a pet!

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
So I have recently decided to move out of my apartment complex that I have been in for three years. My friend and I signed a lease today for a new apartment and the lady asked us if we had any pets as they require an extra fee for pets. I told her I had guinea pigs and she through up her hands and rolled her eyes and stated that"that's not a pet." I probably gave her the funniest expression. I felt like being sarcastic and telling her I spend more time on my piggies than I did for my dog but I just held my tongue. I actually thought it was kinda funny. Anybody had anything like this ever happen? I wonder what she would think if she knew I have four in a 2x7 c&c cage ...

Cavy4Me

Cavy Slave
Ugh, it frustrates me when people don't consider animals like gunieas or even hamsters as pets. And fish? I love em all and have had them all as pets! Well, I guess you don't have to pay extra having them there anyways, right? Lol!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well in a way it's good she thinks it's not a pet because you don't have to pay the pet fee! They don't consider birds pets either. It's dogs and cats which is fine for my wallet!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I haven't had people diss my poor girls like that, but I've had some react with curiosity, like, "Are they really good pets? What do they DO?" I can't blame them too much because I didn't think guinea pigs had any personality before I got them myself. I was surprised at what amazing, stuffed-with-personality-and-attitude, demanding, smart, manipulative little creatures they actually are.

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
When it comes to landlords, I'm okay with it if it means I don't have to pay the pet fee. Makes it easier since as a vet student, I'm bound to just keep taking in animals in need. Luckily, my landlord for next year is a vet student who is graduating so he doesn't care either. We just have to give him a weeks notice if we're adding another pet and can't let it become a "hoarder" type situation.

I would think a bird would count more since they're very noisy and can be quite messy at times. It's the one animal we're not allowed to have. Haha. He said we could even have an alpaca if we wanted...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Yep, same with my apartment complex. Guinea pigs are not pets. So no pet fee! Woohoo! I also don't have to check with them when I add another guinea pig. ;)

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
My tenancy says no pets but when 2 piggie boys needed a home I got on the phone to him. 'Oh they're just guinea pigs, they live outside that's fine'... 'no they'll be living indoors' 'well ok as long as they don't make a mess'. I'd love to see his face if he walked in to see 7 of them in my double decker piggy apartments, where the lounge carpet resembles a barn from all the hay they throw on most days! But hey I have it in writing that they're ok!

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
So I have recently decided to move out of my apartment complex that I have been in for three years. My friend and I signed a lease today for a new apartment and the lady asked us if we had any pets as they require an extra fee for pets. I told her I had guinea pigs and she through up her hands and rolled her eyes and stated that"that's not a pet." I probably gave her the funniest expression. I felt like being sarcastic and telling her I spend more time on my piggies than I did for my dog but I just held my tongue. I actually thought it was kinda funny. Anybody had anything like this ever happen? I wonder what she would think if she knew I have four in a 2x7 c&c cage ...
Just look at it this way! U don't have to pay that fee hahaha

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
My tenancy says no pets but when 2 piggie boys needed a home I got on the phone to him. 'Oh they're just guinea pigs, they live outside that's fine'... 'no they'll be living indoors' 'well ok as long as they don't make a mess'. I'd love to see his face if he walked in to see 7 of them in my double decker piggy apartments, where the lounge carpet resembles a barn from all the hay they throw on most days! But hey I have it in writing that they're ok!

Haaa! That's hilarious. That's what my floor looks like too! (we should probably just let the landlords remain blissfully in the dark about the mess. After all, it's not our fault if they don't know how to best take care of a piggielol)

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
Just look at it this way! U don't have to pay that fee hahaha

Yep, totally excited for that. It's like $300 for a cat or dog and an extra fee each month. I'm kinda glad piggies aren't "pets."

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
I was so happy when I found out our Landlord didnt consider my 2 guinea pigs, pets. The normal pet fee is $600, so I was very tenative to let her even know I had 2 pigs, but just didnt feel right not saying anything. Well, I called and told her, and she was like, Oh they are in a Cage, I dont care!" Hey, its all cool beans to me!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.