Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rip Winston

sonvrai

Cavy Slave
On November 16th, 2011 My guinea pigs Winston and Cedar were in the hallway playing while I was in the garage cleaning their cage. They broke through the fence separating them from our dogs. Unfortunately, Winston, my baby, didn't make it. He had internal injuries and passed on before I could even take him to the vet. Luckily Cedar ran behind the couch and is safe today, though I think she misses Winston. Winston was only 5 months old, just a baby, and I take full responsibility for not being there to protect him. I just didn't make the fence strong enough, I took for granted their curiosity and left them unsupervised. I'm very sad. And very sorry. I messed up, I wasn't responsible, I wasn't paying enough attention and I had adopted Winston, with the intention of giving him a good life and loving him but I failed miserably.

He is buried in a nice spot overlooking trees and flowers. He was mischievous and stubborn, always trying to get into rooms when I opened doors, climbing on top of his house and rumblestrutting in a way that reminded me of the bravado and arrogance most young boys have. But it was his curiosity that I liked most, he wasn't afraid to beg for treats or investigate unknown areas. And as much as he might have rumbled at Cedar, he would cry when he was separated from her. I had him for a short time, but I was blessed.

photo.jpg

Lyonmom

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about Winston, he's in a better place now.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss. Even though it was a short life, you made it a wonderful life for him. My thoughts are with you and Cedar.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I messed up, I wasn't responsible, I wasn't paying enough attention and I had adopted Winston, with the intention of giving him a good life and loving him but I failed miserably.

Ohhhh I am so terribly sorry for your heartbreaking, harrowing loss of your little boy Winston...I just cannot imagine the heart-wrenching pain you must be going through my dear ! I am so very very sorry. Please, please know that we care, and hurt with you ! I understand that you take full responsibility for what happened, as well you should. However, I believe it could happen to ANY ONE OF US, at any given time. You've experienced a very hard painful lesson, but hopefully we all can learn from it too. It keeps us on our toes, to realize once again, that it only takes an instant--for something like this to happen.

My heart-felt sympathies go out to you and your family, and know that Winston is now over the rainbow bridge of piggie haven, gleefully chomping down fields of clover. Here is that wonderful sweet poem, that I would like to share with you.

RB_Poem_Gate.jpg

RainbowBridge.com
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together..
Author unknown...

Sending you some big HUGS and prayers your way today....

Last edited:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
When I first joined this forum I had my pigs in plastic bins in my bathroom. I had 4 pigs.
I thought bathroom door was shut tight. It wasnt. I had just taken in a wolf/husky that someone had dropped off at my house. I was going to feed them so allthe pigs started weeking and that dog went right in there. He killed all but one pig who hid in a hidey. I was heartbroken. I know exactly what you are feeling.

I am so sorry for the loss of Winston. He was a beautiful little man. I truly am sorry.

My one pig who was left cried and cried for his friends. I had my daughter go get him a friend and he was so happy. If Cedar is grieving, a friend might help.

The good that come out of that attack for me. I got them into a c&c cage with lids. I made sure they were safe from all dogs and cats. I had found this site and it taught me how to be a good piggy owner. Let it do the same for you. You will keep Cedar and all other pigs you have safe. I so feel your loss and I am so sorry.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
suzilovespiggie--I didn't know if it was appropriate or not, to thank you on your wonderful post, but I just feel so grateful that you did...for now she doesn't have to feel so all alone, you know ? That indeed, it can happen to any one of us....it only takes an unsuspecting moment, for an accident such as this, to happen.

I really hurt for her...and wish I could hug her right now. Guilt is such a terrible terrible thing to feel, and I have done plenty of things in my own life, and have my own regrets and bad decisions to live with. So on some level, I think we all can certainly relate, you know ?

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that Winston is gone.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry about Winston. Years ago, before I was involved with my rescue, we had a pet store pig that had babies right after we got her. We gave one to our sitter. She had a friendly lab and they would let the two out together, under supervision, with no problems. One day, the dog picked up Hoppy and dropped her, killing her instantly. Dogs are unpredictable, and even if your dog had been a family pet, a friendly dog could quickly kill a guinea pig. Thank you for posting this blog to warn others of the dangers of dogs and guinea pigs. I know what happened was a freak accident, but it was kind of you to post it to possibly save another guinea pig somewhere. Hugs...

sonvrai

Cavy Slave
Thank you all very very much for the stories and support. It was a really horrible thing, but it was a lesson in awareness that I'll never forget.

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. Two days ago, Curia passed away. I had her for four years, and one day I put her in her outdoor pen for some exercise. I left to clean her cage (a decision I regret to no end), and when I came back, I found that something had dug under the pen. There was fur everywhere. I felt so guilty. I should have made the pen more secure, or stayed with her while she was outside. But I didn't, and now she's gone. At least she's in a better place now and hopping playfully with Speedy Puff.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Sonvrai Thank you for starting this thread to share your experience. I too feel for you, Winston and Cedar deeply. I am sad for your loss.
You did what you thought best at the time by giving them adventure time in the hall and no-one can be everywhere all the time.
Perhaps you will be the one to come up with a design for a secure hallway piggie proof barrier. One that would also prevent a cat or dog jumping into the piggie space too?... in all lessons there are opportunities for betterment in our world - our losses are sometimes the life saving gifts that we give to others.
I feel that this thread is one of those gifts. And so I must say a heart felt thanks to brave Winston he joins the ranks of other piggies who teach us people how to evolve into being better guardians of piggies lives. Namaste Winston.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.