Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best bedding to minimize smell

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
I use fleece with newspaper underneath, what would you say is the best kind of bedding to eliminate smells, I used wood shaving A LONG time ago and i found it very messy, I also don't want to use hay as a bedding, suggestions or tips?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My favorite bedding is unscented Fresh News for Cats. I use fleece in one half and bedding in a tray in the other half where their food, hay and water bottles are. I place a small single ply piece of fleece under the pigloos so it's easy to lift up and dump the poop. My cages never smell.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use wood pellets with a thin layer of fleece over it. Never any smell, and the pellets only have to be changed every few months.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
Thanks I'll try those!

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I'm going to be switching over to pellets soon, but for now I've been using fleece + uhaul pads underneath. I've got two piggies and their bedding only begins to develop a light odor after hitting the 1 week mark. (although I change it out every 6-7 days)

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
mine starts smelling at around 1 day after i change the fleece and nespaper....

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Newspaper is horrible, maybe used shredded with nothing on top and scooped daily. but not with fleece on top. Wood pellets are great and I use horse stall wood pellets and mini flakes on top. The feed store i get them at call the mini flakes saw dust but it isn't saw dust.
Wood pellets and mini flakes, cage changed yesterday, scoop corners and lightly slide scoop on top to get other poos. Stir if Need be. The mini flakes get dug out every week or so, the pellets stired and more flakes added. Total cost for 6-8 weeks is about $12.00.
100_0780 (Medium).jpg

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
OMG I have used everything!!! So far I have found that pine pellets and fleece work best for us. I have tried incontinence pads, pine shavings, ect. It really seems the pine pellets keep the smell down to nothing for us and I have two piggies. :)

yubie

Cavy Slave
HaHa, I too have used everything as [MENTION=34523]AnnikasMommy[/MENTION] stated.

I heavily rely on pads that are just a smaller version of my cage liner. I made them in different size to accommodate the frequently used area, litter box and hay box.
My cage liner consists of either uhaul or towels sandwich and sew between the fleeces. Under the liner is another fitted uhaul or towels. These rarely gets soiled. On top of this I use the pads and it is so quick to change out twice daily... Remove, shake, replace. I have coropast box/hay box constructed so that I can place hay that they rumble/lay/play and eat in. They love this area and I enjoy seeing them rumble in it, but I have high allergies and one is to their pee. These boxes have the pellets and petco crumbles newspaper on the bottom that gets changed once a month, but will last two, two layer of newspaper to protect it from adhering to the fleece. Then of course the fleece pad. Twice daily doing main feeding times I remove, shake and replace. No smell even though there is newspaper, raisins and pee collected there in a heavy volume. Their litter box consists of the pellets and Petco crumbles so there is no smell there either. I place the crumbles on top of the pellet when I change out just because I want comfort to their feet. Thin layer of fleece that get the stuff underneath adhere to it, ew! I place a pad under the box and it extends in front of the box to catch fallen raisin and pellets. Again pick up, shake and replace. Thank goodness this box last a week or more with no smell. I have seven darling and four cages and no smell and except for heavy clean day takes less than twenty to clean. I am loving it.
Hopefully I will learn how to add pics to make the whole thing clearer.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use Yesterday's News cat litter and Carefresh, excellent odor control.

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I thought the so phresh bedding was bad to use because it has baking soda in it? I think I remember reading about it on the forum a few months ago.

yubie

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I thought the so phresh bedding was bad to use because it has baking soda in it? I think I remember reading about it on the forum a few months ago.
[MENTION=21324]guineapigsxo[/MENTION] You bring up a interesting point. OMG, I use this stuff, phresh, and never consider the issue regarding the baking soda. I also used Carefresh with baking soda. I am banned from stating what it actually does because it is medical, but maybe someone else can enlighten. It is worth looking into. I am hoping that the small amount is so minute that it would not harm, but I am going to switch to something else. I missed the post that relates to this so I will try and find it. Thanks again!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am banned from stating what it actually does because it is medical

???? What does that mean?

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I am very confused by that statement as well. Also I've never heard anything damning about bedding containing baking soda

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's a whole thread about the dangers of baking soda. Someone resurrected it in an earlier post on this thread.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] I will check it out, yet I have always used carefresh and have never had issues so I doubt I would switch.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
Where can I buy wood pellets? What kind of stores sell it? Would carboard shreds (saw some at Walmart today) do the same as wood pellets? Thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, shredded cardboard is nothing like wood pellets. You get them at stores that sell pellet stoves, but those are a seasonal item and only available in cold weather. Or you can get them at farm and feed stores, where they're sold as pellet bedding for livestock.

Nilda

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you have a Menards home store by you? But that is where I buy mine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.