Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Are these chewing sticks safe?

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
My dad got my piggies some Timothy hay and then he handed me chewing sticks. It's made from madrone hardwood, and the company is Happy Home Pet Products. I looked it up if it's safe but I can't find anything saying if this wood type is safe for piggies. I'm not going to give it to my piggies until I am sure it is safe. 20170825_202500.jpg

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I am not too sure and I always say better safe than sorry but honestly pigs don't need anything to chew the hay grinds the teeth down.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I am not too sure and I always say better safe than sorry but honestly pigs don't need anything to chew the hay grinds the teeth down.
Thanks, but I was looking for a yes or no ^^

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
If you haven't found any search results giving a "yes or no" chances are if you ask here no one will have a yes or no. I agree with scoottie, better safe than sorry. I wouldn't give it to them if I were you.

Also, I personally don't believe what it says on the back of that box - "Wood chewing is essential". It's not necessary. Providing good quality hay 24/7 will take care of their teeth. The only woods I know that piggies can eat/chew are willow (because apparently, that's what those "Bendy Bridges" or "Lounging Logs" are made off), hazel branches, and apple branches. However, they must be pesticide free. You could cause some serious harm feeding branches/leaves/forage/anything that has been sprayed.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
If you haven't found any search results giving a "yes or no" chances are if you ask here no one will have a yes or no. I agree with scoottie, better safe than sorry. I wouldn't give it to them if I were you.
I found out, it's a yes, hardwoods are safe for piggies and this is a hardwood

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I still wouldn't do it because you don't know the exact hardwards they can chew on. And if you found that answer in only one source, I wouldn't believe it.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I still wouldn't do it because you don't know the exact hardwards they can chew on.
And you don't know if all, or most hardwoods are guinea pig safe

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You probably still shouldn't give it to them hay will do the job so i say No

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
You probably still shouldn't give it to them hay will do the job so i say No
It's just a toy, why would a toy hurt them.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Because It could be poisonous that"s why would you play with something dangerous or toxic???? Answer me that

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
Because It could be poisonous that"s why would you play with something dangerous or toxic???? Answer me that
Do you have any proof that it's harmful? It's meant for piggies.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
If You want to take the chance go ahead and if your piggy makes it ok but if it gets sick don't make a huge deal about it

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
If You want to take the chance go ahead and if your piggy makes it ok but if it gets sick don't make a huge deal about it
Why would it get sick? A few sites say that hardwoods are safe for piggies.

CavyReigns

Cavy Gazer
Madrone is also called the "strawberry tree" if you want to search it up some more. But, it most likely isn't toxic to your guinea pigs, and I doubt it will make them sick. But I would still keep an eye on them in case any pieces splinter off causing them to hurt themselves or choke.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
Madrone is also called the "strawberry tree" if you want to search it up some more. But, it most likely isn't toxic to your guinea pigs, and I doubt it will make them sick. But I would still keep an eye on them in case any pieces splinter off causing them to hurt themselves or choke.
Thank you. Yes, they've had little interest in it so far, they nibble on it here and there but thank you :^)

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I have a question if you were going to do whatever you wanted to do why did you ask if it was safe in the first place???

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I have a question if you were going to do whatever you wanted to do why did you ask if it was safe in the first place???
Because when I asked the question, I couldn't find anything saying it was safe and my mom found something showing it was safe a bit after this was posted.

CavyReigns

Cavy Gazer
Thank you. Yes, they've had little interest in it so far, they nibble on it here and there but thank you :^)

No problem. They might not like it too much depending on how old they are since the wood is known to be really hard, but I wouldn't leave it in the cage in case they suddenly decide they love chewing it while you're not around.
To ease other people who might think otherwise, many other mammals and animals eat the parts of the tree, make nests in them, and humans have even used the bark for medicinal purposes. I think guinea pigs would be fine from chewing it if no other problems (like I mentioned splintering or choking) occurs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think guinea pigs would be fine from chewing it if no other problems (like I mentioned splintering or choking) occurs.

For me (and this is just my opinion) this would be the exact reason NOT to give it to them. The possibility of splintering. Even if they don't ingest the splinters, if it's sticking out and a pig pokes him or herself in the eye, or steps on it, that would have drastic repercussions. Maybe I worry too much about my boys, but why invite trouble?

CavyReigns

Cavy Gazer
For me (and this is just my opinion) this would be the exact reason NOT to give it to them. The possibility of splintering. Even if they don't ingest the splinters, if it's sticking out and a pig pokes him or herself in the eye, or steps on it, that would have drastic repercussions. Maybe I worry too much about my boys, but why invite trouble?

I don't think I'm in any position to tell anyone what they should do with their own pets, only encourage safer behavior if they plan on doing what they have in mind. That's why I stressed the fact that the person should keep a close eye on the pigs and take the branches out if the pigs are not being watched as to reduce possible harm as much as possible. Sure, you can just not give it to them, but pigs gotta have fun too. You do bring up a good point with the splinters, but the type of wood mentioned has a tendency to chip off rather than splinter and is a pretty hard, dense wood. So in my opinion, I thought it would be okay for them to have time to time ONLY IF supervised. It's up to the owner to decide what they think is best for their pets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.