Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My Beautiful Smudgee

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
On Sept 9, 2017 Smudgee showed zero interest in eating her morning veggies, she was perfectly fine the night before (so I thought) since she was eating before I went to bed. Since this is an usual behavior for a guinea pig I drove to the Exotic Vet and got her to see the doctor.

I was there for a couple of hours, he did a physical, put her in a oxygen tank and took several X-rays. He showed me the X-rays and she had several masses in her body along with bloat. He suspected it was cancer, but couldn't do a blood test since guinea pigs need anesthesia to draw blood and she was to weak. The next step was to get a ultra sound, but his office didn't perform ultrasounds and next available appointment I could get was on September 11, 2017 an hour away. Plus their office was close the next day. He sent me home with pain meds for her.

I ended up taking her home and started calling around to cavy savy people I knew, consulted on piggie forums. I ended up syringe feeding and massaging her (for her bloat) every hour on the hour throughout the night and into the morning.

On Sept 10 between the hours of 630am - 7am she crossed the rainbow bridge. I fed her at 6 am and gave her a 15 minute massage and was able to rub her belly one last time. At 7am I went to give her hourly feeding and saw her body lifeless, I knew she passed. It was an exhausting night.

Smudgee had a rough start at life, she lived outside in a cardboard box with little shade by herself. She almost became snake food, but I rescued her. Her last years was spent in a herd, living in a piggie mansion and eating quality food. She was well loved and was surrounded by her herd during her last moments.

Adoption Date: Nov 8, 2015
Crossed the Rainbow Bridge on : Sept 10, 2017

[video=youtube_share;TZbAL-P-yJY]https://youtu.be/TZbAL-P-yJY[/video]

Slamb

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss even now it can't be easy. At least She is no longer in pain and she's happily waiting for you over the bridge. You seem to have done everyrhing you could for her and she knew it. You gave her a great life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
CavieGuy, I am so very, very sorry. I was hoping after reading your earlier posts about Smudgee's bloat that she would be ok, sadly I see that wasn't the case.

Thank you for rescuing her from a horrible, horrible life when you did. Your video tribute to her is beautiful, and I'm positive that she knew love and happiness and a wonderful home the rest of her days.

Rest in peace, Smudgee. I hope you make some wonderful new friends at the Rainbow Bridge, and find all the delicious greens to eat while you're there. Say hello to my baby Pooper if you meet him, and all of the Rainbow Pigs here from the forum family.

Until your dad comes to find you again to take you across, little girl.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost her.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
CavieGuy, I am so very, very sorry. I was hoping after reading your earlier posts about Smudgee's bloat that she would be ok, sadly I see that wasn't the case.

Thank you for rescuing her from a horrible, horrible life when you did. Your video tribute to her is beautiful, and I'm positive that she knew love and happiness and a wonderful home the rest of her days.

Rest in peace, Smudgee. I hope you make some wonderful new friends at the Rainbow Bridge, and find all the delicious greens to eat while you're there. Say hello to my baby Pooper if you meet him, and all of the Rainbow Pigs here from the forum family.

Until your dad comes to find you again to take you across, little girl.

Thank you. I was really hoping by me waking up every hour gave her a fighting chance that she will turn the corner but that wasn't the case. I was extremely upset that morning and frustrated that what I did to help didn't make a difference. I know now that I gave her a second chance of happiness living with me and her large herd.

I'm so sorry you lost her.

Thank Bpatters. Thank you for the advice you gave in other piggie forum. I really appreciate the help.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You did give her a second chance, one she so richly deserved. It's sad that she didn't start her life that way, but when she passed she knew love and she knew what life for her was supposed to be like. Even though all of your efforts didn't pan out, I'm sure she knew how much you loved her and how much you tried.

And I'm sure she loved the life that you gave her. That chance at 2 years of happiness hopefully made her forget all about her previous life.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
You did give her a second chance, one she so richly deserved. It's sad that she didn't start her life that way, but when she passed she knew love and she knew what life for her was supposed to be like. Even though all of your efforts didn't pan out, I'm sure she knew how much you loved her and how much you tried.

And I'm sure she loved the life that you gave her. That chance at 2 years of happiness hopefully made her forget all about her previous life.

Thank you. I just got emotional reading this.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry you lost her. Her story was a very sad one from the start, but it had a happy ending because she spent her last 2 years with you, loving and doting on her. Some stories about piggies passing on here really get to me, they remind me of my own loses, and then comes the waterworks. You gave her a wonderful life and you were there for her right until the end :love:.
Run free at the bridge, free from pain, sweet little Smudgee :love::love:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
May Smudgee's spirit soar over the Rainbow Bridge! :love: Sparky & Chip send wheeks of comfort to you and the herd.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss. You rescued her from horrible conditions and she knows that so take comfort in the great life you gave her. Lost my girl on 9/6 so I know the sting. May Smudgee rip. xx

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry for your loss. RIP little Smudgee.

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss CavieGuy, Smudgee was given only the best since her adoption. RIP Sweet Smudgee ❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.