Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Breeds/Varieties

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Could you please tell me what variety my Widget was. I know he was an American. And also what Hamm is. Hamm is first, Widget is the second.

Adorable names!!! Love them!
Hamm looks like a Peruvian, the color is a bit hard to see in this photo, but it looks like a Golden Agouti,and White broken.

Widget is an American. The color would be a Dilute Agouti, and Cream broken :) hope this is helpful.

Maman

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'd love to know what kind my Newman is, I've been doing some searches but haven't been able to figure it out :)

Attachments

image.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'd love to know what kind my Newman is, I've been doing some searches but haven't been able to figure it out :)

What a pretty pig! I really love the colors. For the breed, he is an American. For the variety/ color he is a black and white broken. (It's actually a bit hard to tell in the picture if the light patches are white or cream. In you opinion are they a clean white, or kind of yellowish?) Though in America the color would be considered a broken, I know in Britain it's considered a Magpie. Hope this helps! :)

Maman

Cavy Slave
Thanks! It's definitely a cream colour, not white-white. I love how he looks too. :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Thanks! It's definitely a cream colour, not white-white. I love how he looks too. :)

If you think it's cream, then I'd just change my answer to cream and black broken instead of white :)

violettedream

Cavy Slave
What an intresting thread! I feel like I learnt a ton just reading through it.
I'd like to add my (future) piggies in to the mix. They are coming from a family who didn't know they're piggie was going to be a Mommy, and aren't sure what breed she is either... Currently both are still unnamed and these are the photos the family sent me of them (and yes that is a doberman nose in the first photo lol)
$T2eC16F,!)8E9s4l59fRBR997D(R8Q~~48_20.jpg
$(KGrHqFHJEwFHiF(FWbpBR997HKCCQ~~48_20.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
What an intresting thread! I feel like I learnt a ton just reading through it.
I'd like to add my (future) piggies in to the mix. They are coming from a family who didn't know they're piggie was going to be a Mommy, and aren't sure what breed she is either... Currently both are still unnamed and these are the photos the family sent me of them (and yes that is a doberman nose in the first photo lol)
View attachment 53483
View attachment 53484

Sorry to be getting back to this late, and lol, the dog nose surprised me :) Both of those piggies are Americans for the breed.

The variety of the guinea in the first photo is a black, cream, and white broken. But genetically it's kind of odd for a cavy to have cream and black patches, so I might just be seeing that black wrong, once you get her, let me know if it looks like black to you, or a really dark chocolate.

The second piggie is a black and white broken :) (almost a dutch, but not quite)

violettedream

Cavy Slave
Sorry to be getting back to this late, and lol, the dog nose surprised me :) Both of those piggies are Americans for the breed.

The variety of the guinea in the first photo is a black, cream, and white broken. But genetically it's kind of odd for a cavy to have cream and black patches, so I might just be seeing that black wrong, once you get her, let me know if it looks like black to you, or a really dark chocolate.

The second piggie is a black and white broken :) (almost a dutch, but not quite)

Thanks SO much for the info!

Yes the first piggie indeed is black and white with splotches of cream/light brown on him. Theres only that little splotch on his face :)
548929_630327034303_436760755_n.jpg

Sbowlin

Cavy Slave
Could you do mine please? I know they are Abbie's just not sure what variety. They are sisters, they have three visible rosettes on them, One on both sides of hind legs and one by there head/neck. Can't see in pigtures but Jasper (the chocolate one) has a red/gold belly mixed with brown, similar to Juniors orange but darker and more golden.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Could you do mine please? I know they are Abbie's just not sure what variety. They are sisters, they have three visible rosettes on them, One on both sides of hind legs and one by there head/neck. Can't see in pigtures but Jasper (the chocolate one) has a red/gold belly mixed with brown, similar to Juniors orange but darker and more golden.

Yes, they're both definitely abbys :) The first pig, Jasper is a Golden agouti, red and white broken. Broken means made up of different patches; the golden agouti is the chocolate color, each hair is black with a red tip. The red is the orange color, and white is obviously white.

The second pig Junior is a golden agouti and white broken. Same thing with the golden agouti, black base, red tip, and it's also what causes the red belly.

GrazingGuineas

Cavy Slave
I know for a breed that he is an aby/peruvian for sure but I'd love to know the variety/color of my Bear! Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

image.jpg

Riot101

Cavy Slave
This is Damon...

Attachments

IMG-20130612-00381.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
I know for a breed that he is an aby/peruvian for sure but I'd love to know the variety/color of my Bear! Thanks in advance! :)

Cute name! Bear is a cream and white broken :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
This is Damon...

xD oh my goodness what hair! For breed, Damon is one crazy Peruvian. Variety is harder tell on long hairs without looking at the face, but from what I see I'd say he's a chocolate and white broken. If you have a pic of the face I could give you a more certain answer :) Cute pig!

Riot101

Cavy Slave
MizzyMiz: he is a white and silver agouti foundation phase sheba mini yak with Ruby eyes...

Attachments

IMG-20130627-00505.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
MizzyMiz: he is a white and silver agouti foundation phase sheba mini yak with Ruby eyes...

??? what do you mean phase sheba mini yak?

He definitely looks more silver agouti here. So yes, he's be a silver agouti and white broken.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Sheba mini yak is only seen as a breed in Australia (and more recently in South Africa).

Have a look on google...They are sort of a cross between an Abby and a Peruvian. They need as many Rosettes as possible to lift the long hair BUT must have the chops and frontal of a Peruvian. Hair shouldn't grow passed they feet.

I'm a show judge for the SAGPS (South African Guinea Pig Society)...

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
Ooh do my boys?

null-64.jpg

Carlton is the Black/White. Pumpkin is the Orange one
null-71.jpg
(Sorry, ignore the poo. It was pre-sweep)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Sheba mini yak is only seen as a breed in Australia (and more recently in South Africa).

Have a look on google...They are sort of a cross between an Abby and a Peruvian. They need as many Rosettes as possible to lift the long hair BUT must have the chops and frontal of a Peruvian. Hair shouldn't grow passed they feet.

I'm a show judge for the SAGPS (South African Guinea Pig Society)...

Oh cool! :D I only really know about the American accepted stuff, but that's really cool! I'm actually working on getting my judging licence within the next couple of years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.