Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggy Owner. Mislead by breeders!

Tiny pets

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,
I'm a new happy owner of two 4 week old Skinny Pig male and a standard female guinea pig. Both are absolutely adorable. Before I made my purchase I did do some research on what is involved in taking care of these little guys. I had a GP before about 15 years ago, when it was acceptable to keep them in glass aquariums. Despite her home environment, my piggy lived to be eight years old. In my apartment I cannot keep a dog and wanted a pet and remember how I enjoyed my GP. So I decided to go ahead and purchase one.

As I researched I see how different the care is from back when I owed one. I learned about C&C cages, fleece liners, their diet consisting on vegetables and found out I really had a lot to learn.

I talked to two breeders (which I found on Craigslist) and I can't believe the misleading information I received. First I was told that it was not necessary to buy a C&C cage or go to the expense of purchasing a fleece liner. That all I needed was a large plastic container. The longest and highest one I could find (this advise came from both breeders). For bedding I was told to use pine or aspen shavings above a layer of newspapers and that would have to been cleaned at least every two days. For vitamin C, I was given "Tang" powdered drink mix to prepare as per the instructions and this would alleviate the need for vegetables. I was told this was the least expensive and healthiest way to house my guinea pigs.

I was thrilled to come home with them and I continued to do countless (seriously) hours of reading on the web, youtubing and reading post on this site. Boy, was I mislead.......

I've have determined that they will mostly definitely need a bigger cage when they reach adult size. The aspen bedding can run me over $30.00 a month, with daily cleanings, so fleece would be the way to go. And I couldn't find any site that recommended "Tang" as a source for Vitamin C. It amazes me how breeders can mislead and misinform people and its all about the sale to them. I made the decision to buy them because I believed in what they told me and keeping these little guys would be an expensive pet to have. I have limited financial resources (don't we all) and I find myself wondering if I had made the right choice or should I find a home that can give them what they need. I'm still calculating the overall expense to come to a final determination if I can afford to keep them.

I see the elaborate C&C cages people have, along with the fleece liners and all the cage accessories and OMG that's about $600 and up.

My other concern is the urine smell and odor. I hear conflicting stories, some say the fleece liners really has cut down on the urine odor and frequency of cleaning the cage, others say that the fleece has not helped and they find themselves with daily washing of urine soak towels and uhaul pads.

So where I am as of today?? I don't mind investing the $150.00 in the C&C cage. I've bought my fleece, and have some old towels..
But if after all this I find myself dealing with bad urine smell which will require me to do daily cleaning (don't mind the daily sweeping up the poop pellets and cleaning the hay out) and washing of urine soak towels, that's the part I don't know I could handle and then find I've spend so much money and it was not for me.

Any advise????

TP

pinky

Cavy Slave
I hope they're housed separately if the female isn't spayed. If not, separate them immediately since the male is fertile at 3 to 4 weeks of age. I think the male is too young to neuter but you probably should consider it since guinea pigs are social animals and do better with a companion.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! I love skinny pigs with their floppy ears; you'll have to post pigtures of them :)

To cut down on the cost of C&C cages, I went to Lowe's and bought a piece of remnant vinyl flooring for $20 to use instead of coroplast. You can also use cardboard wrapped in a shower curtain. You can get grids from Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond, Goodwill and amazon.com for about $25. Another way to save is to buy fleece at Wal-Mart. Joann's and Hancock Fabrics usually have sales pretty regularly and also have cheap fleece in the remnant bins. I really like fleece; I don't think it smells. I wash mine once a week along with the towels.

You should check out the photo gallery for alternative cages :) If a C&C doesn't work for you, there are a lot of creative cage solutions out there :)

The breeders really told you to feed Tang and that it was healthy? That's the weirdest thing I've heard. Fresh veggies will keep the pigs happy and healthy, not a powdered drink mix. I wouldn't follow any of their advice; they sound like they have no idea what they're talking about. Breeders aren't allowed to post on Craigslist; it's a violation of the user agreement. I would probably flag their ads so they don't go around spreading bad information like that.

Welcome to the forum!

Artista

Cavy Slave
I really like my set up. I have a 2 x 4 c & c cage for my 1 pig. 2 x 1 of it is a kitchen which has the hay, pellets, veggies, water in it. For litter I buy wood pellets, 40 lbs for about $6. Controls the odor and absorbs really well. You can just tell the areas that you need to spot clean during the day by the dust as it turns to dust like material when wet. Cheapest litter ever. The rest of the cage is fleece flippers with many different cases. I bought my whole set up from this site and the quality/fit is bar none. Check out the cages and fleece store. I love fleece flippers as my laundry is way down with these.

Since I have the kitchen, my girl urinates there I'd say over 80% of the time, and most poop is in there although that I don't expect her to hold and will find it around the fleece.

I have a great vacuum that just sucks up the poops and hair that isn't embedded some into the fleece in which then I'd use the lint roller.

Last edited:

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
A box of grids from Bed Bath and Beyond are only 20$ and makes a 2x6. Under layment of vinyl table cloth is like 4$, 6 towels, 20$ and 2yards of fleece, 10$. Total $54 or so! Way cheaper than a small store bought cage. Over time I have bought more towels to always have a set clean and TONS of fleece as it is so cute and nice to change up for holidays and such
I also have a little vacuum only for piggy poo, much easier than sweeping, throw it out on the garden! Bam, instant fertilizer!
Enjoy your new family!!

Rainspinner

Cavy Slave
It doesn't cost that much for a C&C cage if you build it yourself. I got my coroplast for about $20 at Home Depot, and then spent around $40 for the grids (I built a 2x3 with a loft. I think you can build at least a 2x6 if you don't want a loft, but I don't have enough space in my house.)

I spent $41 for 5m of fleece yesterday at a local fabric store. Still trying to get it to work though xD

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
We've used kiln-dried pine shavings over 3 layers of newspaper in our rescue for years. I love it. It's a lot cheaper than Carefresh and I think it hides odors better. We spot clean every couple days and do a total cage cleaning about every week. If you buy kiln-dried pine shavings in the huge bags used for horses from a feed store instead of pet store, you get much better deals. I can clean cages for around 15-20 piggies with one bag of shavings that costs me about $6.
It's all a matter of personal preference - shavings, pellets, carefresh, fleece & towels, Fleece Flippers etc.
Good Luck!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

As mentioned above, if your female is not spayed, please keep your pigs separated. Pregnancy can be fatal in guinea pigs. More info:
https://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

C&C cages can be made inexpensively if you build your own.

You can buy grids from these places:

Sears: 23 grids for $21.99
https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-st...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Kmart: 23 grids for $16.99
https://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-st...W435219990001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Walmart: 16 grids for $16.96
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

Bed Bath & Beyond: 19 grids for $19.99
(broken link removed)

Amazon: 16 grids for $19.99
(broken link removed)

Coroplast:
You can buy from this warehouse for $10 - $20 (depending on the location, you'll have to call and ask)
(broken link removed)

Home Depot $13.46
https://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053

How to build the cage.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Tiny pets

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for all the replies!!

I didn't realize that a box of grids contained more than 4 grids. I thought it was $19.99 for just one cube of grids. Wow, that just may change everything.

Thank you Lissie for all the information of where to buy the grids and the coroplast. You just made my day. I have new hope!!

Thank you Piggy about the information regarding housing a male and a female. The little female was actually given to me for free because she said they should not be alone. I said that I did not want to breed and didn't want to deal with a lot of babies. So I said I would be giving her the babies and the little female for exchange of another male in the future. She said that was fine but also said that it is perfectly natural for them to have babies time and time again. Somehow I don't think that is too healthy for the female. She also mentioned that it is not good to house two males together because they will not get along. That I would have to trade both of them to get to females (At $125 each - YIKES).

My idea of acquiring a nice little pet has turned out to be such a trying experience. But I'm not giving up. Eventually, I will figure it all out. I would hate to give up both the GP's to get two of the same sex but I think that would be best. Is it true that two males cannot be housed together?

Thank you all for your post. Looks like I have some good ideas that makes this a bit more affordable for me. I just now have to figure out my Guinea Pig situation. Now it looks like that cost might be $250.00. Ouch that hurts.. along with giving up the two I already feel emotionally tied to :sad:.

I'll keep you guys posted as to what I finally decide.

So nice to be apart of this forum. Thanks again to everyone.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for all the replies!!

I didn't realize that a box of grids contained more than 4 grids. I thought it was $19.99 for just one cube of grids. Wow, that just may change everything.

Thank you Lissie for all the information of where to buy the grids and the coroplast. You just made my day. I have new hope!!

Thank you Piggy about the information regarding housing a male and a female. The little female was actually given to me for free because she said they should not be alone. I said that I did not want to breed and didn't want to deal with a lot of babies. So I said I would be giving her the babies and the little female for exchange of another male in the future. She said that was fine but also said that it is perfectly natural for them to have babies time and time again. Somehow I don't think that is too healthy for the female. She also mentioned that it is not good to house two males together because they will not get along. That I would have to trade both of them to get to females (At $125 each - YIKES).

My idea of acquiring a nice little pet has turned out to be such a trying experience. But I'm not giving up. Eventually, I will figure it all out. I would hate to give up both the GP's to get two of the same sex but I think that would be best. Is it true that two males cannot be housed together?

Thank you all for your post. Looks like I have some good ideas that makes this a bit more affordable for me. I just now have to figure out my Guinea Pig situation. Now it looks like that cost might be $250.00. Ouch that hurts.. along with giving up the two I already feel emotionally tied to :sad:.

I'll keep you guys posted as to what I finally decide.

So nice to be apart of this forum. Thanks again to everyone.

Pregnancies are high risk for guinea pigs and there's a high mortality rate with the mothers. In addition, there are approximately 900 guinea pigs listed at anytime on Petfinder while countless numbers are being euthanized each day.

You can house males together. Two of my most bonded pairs were males. You need to have a large enough cage to allow them adequate space and do the proper introductions instead of just immediately housing them together.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
The males can't live together is a massive misconception, mostly it's caused by putting incompatible males in too small a space. Lets face it, you put two people in a small room together that don't get along it's not going to end well. Same goes with guinea pigs, as long as they like each other, and have enough space they'll be fine.

Clearly my boys hate each other :p
1503998_10151760156076852_1179002322_n.jpg

I'd try and separate your two pigs now, chances are at 4 weeks your girl might already be pregnant but it'd be a slim chance. You can always get the boy neutered when he's 4 months or 400g (whichever comes first, I prefer waiting until they are closer to 550g) but it depends on the vet a lot, some wont do it before 6 months, and 4 weeks after that surgery you can put them together again. (Needs to be 4 weeks for his sperm to die off).

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@Tiny pets - It's wonderful that you found this site because you are correct, much of what the breeder told you was very wrong.

- It's a common misconception that two males will not get along. As long as they have a large enough cage (store bought cages are not) and are introduced properly, there is no reason they cannot live together in harmony. I've had 12 male pigs over the last 8 years and only one of those 12 was too dominant to get along with another male.

-When she said it was perfectly natural for the females to have babies time and time again, consider the source. She is in the business of making sure exactly that happens. The truth is, it's very rough on a female's body to be backbred, particularly after a certain age.

If you want your two pigs to live together, one of them will need to be fixed. It's much more common and much less invasive for the male to be neutered. Just make sure you find a cavy savvy vet who has a success record with the procedure.

The other folks here have given you some great information about where to find grids, etc so I'm not going to bore you with repeats.

Just as a bit of info, and in case you were wondering, we have a great nutrition list here on the site. I have printed it out and I take it with me when I go produce shopping for my pigs. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

You have definitely come to the right place to find accurate information about guinea pig care. Welcome! :) Don't be shy. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I would not recommend trading the pigs with the breeder. You could wait to neuter the male, or adopt them each a friend. If you choose the latter, please check your local rescue or shelter. Petfinder.com also has lots of guinea pigs.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome to the forums

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Its not true that two males can be housed together. I own 6 boys and 2 girls. (Spayed ofc)
Biggest I had was three boys in a 2x6 with a 2x3 expansion. Unfortunately I had to seperate the one because of his medical stuff. So I have two, duets of boys, and two living alone. The only reason the other is living alone is because of his personality. He's a natural lone Piggie.
So I guess it just depends on the personalitity of which you're mixing. Keep in mind that boys like to be dominant * as I've noticed at least* so be prepared..
Thanks for taking them in, dispite what you heard about caring for them. Peppers, oranges work great for vitamin c. (The powder degrates over time in water due to the evaporation) thanks again and if we can be of any help, let us know :)

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
Hey real quick males become fertile at 4 weeks but females can't be impregnated until 6-8 weeks hope this helps.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Hey real quick males become fertile at 4 weeks but females can't be impregnated until 6-8 weeks hope this helps.

That's not accurate, although you were kinda close! :p

Males can become sexually mature as early as 21 days (3 weeks) and females can become pregnant as early as 4 weeks.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@Aleks is correct. Not sure where you got your information @StarTaleMaddnes but it's not correct.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.