Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do your other pets ever get jealous of the pigs?

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Have your other pets ever been jealous of your GPs? My Chihuahua is horribly jealous. She even went by their cage and growled at them one time (I've never let her hurt them, no worries) when I was feeding cilantro. Haha, it's funny because whenever I try to pay attention to her rather than the pigs she looks at me like I'm weird (doesn't even play fetch with me anymore). Anyone else with annoyed pets?

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
Ahhh... My cat is really jealous of them, he had to stop coming into our room because of the way he was acting around them. It breaks my heart that I have to keep him out of my room and he loses a lot of time with me, but theres really nothing else I can do. He came in the room and for a while he just watched them, the cage is uncovered and he never tried to jump in, but Bibbles was eating near the edge and I saw Teddy bear (my cat) go to shove his paw in one of the holes and I snatched hi up real quick and threw him out he has been giving me the cold shoulder lately :( i feel terrible

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Ahhh... My cat is really jealous of them, he had to stop coming into our room because of the way he was acting around them. It breaks my heart that I have to keep him out of my room and he loses a lot of time with me, but theres really nothing else I can do. He came in the room and for a while he just watched them, the cage is uncovered and he never tried to jump in, but Bibbles was eating near the edge and I saw Teddy bear (my cat) go to shove his paw in one of the holes and I snatched hi up real quick and threw him out he has been giving me the cold shoulder lately :( i feel terrible

My cat puts his paws in the cage a lot but never has his claws out. I think that is normal behavior. I wouldn't ban him from your room while you are there.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'd be worried the cat would scratch the piggies. But if you have a strong top on the cage and put overlapping grids around it so the cat's paws don't fit through you can let your cat be in your room again.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My dog gets jealous of veggie time. He thinks the pigs are getting something special and he's not. I had to start giving him a treat at the same time to make him happy. :)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
My dog wishes he were a guinea pig lol

Aleks

Cavy Slave
My dog gets jealous of veggie time. He thinks the pigs are getting something special and he's not. I had to start giving him a treat at the same time to make him happy. :)

Our dogs know when I'm cutting up bell peppers. They looovee them and won't stop giving me the most pitiful begging faces until i give them some. :p

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
When the pigs are out in their play pen, Honey watches them and crys for some reason.
Maybe she thinks that they are little pups that she has to mother. She used to let my rats climb all over her when I had them. She never bit them either. So I know my pigs would be safe if they ever got out out in the living room. Honey use to help me find my rats if they had escaped out the cage. How smart is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
We recently adopted a dog from our local shelter and she is ONLY jealous of the pigs when they are being fed. She thinks anything even remotely food related should be hers, LOL.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I don't think my gerbils are jealous of the attention I give my pigs.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
@Ibbet I can totally relate! My dog endlessly begs for food, even steals it when I'm not looking.

Silly pets, don't they know we love them equally?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
My dog hates when I spend time with my pigs. Im not sure why, I give them the same attention time span. Dogs are silly.

allieh26

Cavy Slave
We have the guinea pig room blocked by a baby gate and a laundry hamper and when ever I'm in there our 2 dogs sit there and whine for attention. They look and sound so pitiful. On the plus side they never try to get in that room even when we are in there they just look at us with puppy dog eyes. We put them downstairs when the piggies have floor time and they are always right at the door when floor time is over. They have never shown aggression towards the piggies though

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.