Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Help!!

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
Tonight when I was feeding my Ginger I noticed that under his left eye looked watery and a little bit of hair loss! I went to bathroom and the discharge was gone except a bit the discharges was when he was cleaning himself but the there is still a bit of hairloss under eye please help my mom wants me to just check in morning but I am,too worried! And tomorrow is Sunday so can can't take to vet!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
A picture of the hair loss might help us in identifying the problem. Has this happened quickly? is the skin red underneath? Was the discharge from his eyes white? Has he been scratching frequently? Has he lost any fur elsewhere? Does he have any other symptoms (eg. coughing, lack of appetite, lethargy)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's under his eye rather than in his eye, it's not an emergency. It's most likely either a bacterial or a fungal infection. Fungus infections are very contagious, so treat it like it is one even if it turns out to be something else. Wear gloves when handling him, and change clothes afterward.

If it's really under his eye and not in it, then I'd start out by getting some Monistat or Lotrimin and putting a dab of it on with a Q-tip. Rub it in well. Do this a couple of times a day for a few days and see if it improves. If so, keep on with that treatment until at least 5-7 days after it looks like it's cleared up.

If it hasn't improved after a few days, then get a triple antibiotic cream and treat with that instead.

One or the other of these treatments should work. The symptoms of fungal and bacterial infections are very similar, and it's hard to tell which is which. One not-totally-reliable test involves a skin scraping, which is painful for the pig, especially close to the eye. But if you treat for a fungus first and it turns out to be a bacterial infection, the fungus treatment won't make it any worse even if it doesn't help. If you treat for a bacterial infection first (the antibiotic) and it's really a fungus, the antibiotic will make the fungus get worse very quickly.

Good luck, and let us know how he gets along.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
image.jpgHere is a pic from this morning looks a bit better he does scratch near his eye sometimes

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
@bpatters does it look like anything like fungus and can I just do triple acting antibiotic cream?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It could be either, as they often look very similar and in your case you have no distinguishing feature of either. It is safer for your guinea pig to start as if it is fungal. Antibiotics make fungal infections go crazy and spread like wild fire as it takes out all the good bacteria fighting the fungal infection, this could turn a mild case like yours (assuming it is fungal) into something very serious and painful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you can't just do triple antibiotic. Did you read my post at all? I explained to you why you should start with the antifungal medication, why the medication for fungus isn't the right one for a bacterial infection, and why the medicine for a bacterial infection isn't the right one for a fungus.

Geez. Some days I think I'm just typing for my own entertainment.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I did read it! Should I take him to vet? And Thank you for replying! Now his eyes are more like watery ish but not as much. @bpatters

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
This is what @bpatters told you to do.
Wear gloves when handling him, and change clothes afterward.

If it's really under his eye and not in it, then I'd start out by getting some Monistat or Lotrimin and putting a dab of it on with a Q-tip. Rub it in well. Do this a couple of times a day for a few days and see if it improves. If so, keep on with that treatment until at least 5-7 days after it looks like it's cleared up.

You don't need to take him into the vet right now if the infection isn't in his eye, just do what bpatters told you do first, but you can take him in if you want.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take him to the vet if you want. But nothing about my original post suggested that he needed a quick trip to the vet. If he were mine, I'd be following those instructions I gave you and seeing what happened before I went off for an expensive vet visit.

squigglesisMINE

Cavy Slave
the hairloss isnt even THAT noticeable so if its anything, its probably a fungal or bacterial infection like others said. DONT start with the triple antibiotic cream. Listen to bpatters. If it worsens, take him to the vet

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
K thanks but one more question where do I get it? I found it on guinealynx.com but how do I get it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You get those medications at any pharmacy.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
You get those medications at any pharmacy.
The medications are not a a pharmacy here but at local Walmart still fine if they are purposed for humans?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you have a walmart, you have a walgreens or CVS. Or anything similar to those 2 stores.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Yes, it's fine even if it's for humans. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're made for people. And if you've got a Walmart, you've got a pharmacy -- there's one in every Walmart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.