Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives What to do about my cage?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can tape plastic trash bag to your floor. Just make sure the bag you use is large enough to cover the floor where the cage will rest on.
Then put your towels on the bag, and put fleece on top.
This way, you won't have any wetness getting to your floor.
Large yard bags will work too.
Use masking tape so it doesn't leave tape residue on the floor.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Or just get a cheap vinyl shower curtain from the dollar store.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Starting from the floor…

You have your floor. Then you lay down a protective layer to keep your floor from getting dirty. That can be something disposable like plastic bags, contractor bags, plastic shower curtain, a sheet of coroplast, or if you want something more long term, the vinyl I was talking about or even real vinyl remnant flooring from a flooring or home improvement store. Someone also recently mentioned the idea of one of those carpet protector pads you put under an office chair so it can roll better. That could work well for you too. One top of any of those would be the absorbent layer, which would be old towels or uhaul pads and on top of that would be the fleece. The fleece doesn't absorb liquid, it allows liquid to pass thru it and dries quickly. All the pee is then absorbed by the next layer (either uhaul pads or old towels).

So:

Piggy goes on top of the Fleece,
Fleece goes on top of the absorbent layer,
Absorbant layer goes on top of protective layer,
protective layer goes on top of Floor

The vinyl flooring, plastic office chair protective mat or vinyl by the yard from Joanns are all very thick.. so they lay nice and flat and doesn't crinkle up or tear, it's a more long term solution. I bet if you called a couple of flooring stores and asked if they had any scraps/remnants of flexible vinyl flooring they probably would give or sell you a piece.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
@Traysea Thanks for disposable solution also would cardboard work for protective layer just until I get the vinyl or office chair things?

pinky

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=28226]Traysea[/MENTION] Thanks for disposable solution also would cardboard work for protective layer just until I get the vinyl or office chair things?

Cardboard is porous so moisture can pass through it. I'd find something made of plastic, even if it's garbage bags.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
@pinky ok like a shower curtain?

pinky

Cavy Slave

Traysea

Cavy Slave
you can wrap the cardboard with something to waterproof it... like a large trash bag or a shower curtain. That would make it stiff and easier to wipe clean.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
@pinky [MENTION=28226]Traysea[/MENTION] thank you for all your help I will probably use the shower curtain thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.