Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth Possible Tooth Problem

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I think your problem is that you're feeding way too many veggies. It can cause unevenly colored, soft poop. Pigs can also quickly come to prefer veggies over hay, and that can cause major, expensive tooth problems.

I can certainly attest to this! We had exactly the same problem with my Chester and it led to teeth planing and anesthesia every 4-6 weeks. The boy's little body finally just couldn't take any more trauma.......and Chester, the miracle pig, finally ran out of miracles.

xautumntbh

Cavy Gazer
I can certainly attest to this! We had exactly the same problem with my Chester and it led to teeth planing and anesthesia every 4-6 weeks. The boy's little body finally just couldn't take any more trauma.......and Chester, the miracle pig, finally ran out of miracles.
I'm sorry about your piggie:( I've cut back on veggies, yesterday was a few small pieces of lettuce to calm him on the way to the vet and two small slices of an orange bell pepper. He already seems to be eating more hay. Is there anything I can do to make it more appealing? I put some in a toilet paper tube but they sorta bother me because of germs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Stuffing it in a toilet paper tube is great! Just make sure you scrape off any remaining glue. My pigs love toilet paper tubes!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Stuffing it in a toilet paper tube is great!

I sometimes do this as well, just because my cavies love cardboard! I up the ante by putting bits of carrot in the middle of the tube with hay on each side.

xautumntbh

Cavy Gazer
I just got his new food in the mail, it's Sweet Meadow Farms, and whenever he tries to eat he chokes and does this thing after like he's throwing up. I don't know what's going on, the pieces are a little bigger but he's eaten veggie pieces that are bigger than the pellets. I'm really worried..
Edit: I just looked up what it could be and it said it could be hiccups. Could it? Like maybe he ate too fast, choked and got them?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.