Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Bath time

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
Hello so I'm trying to give my pig a bath I had him for a good month but I can't pick him up he is a male and non neutered rescued pig he's aggressive but I really need to give him a bath any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
He's biting because he is frightened. :( Very few cavies enjoy getting a bath.

Other people may have their methods, but I'll just relate what works for us. We put a dishpan in the kitchen sink. The only caveat with this is that if your piggy is a jumper, you have to prevent him from jumping out of the pan all the way to the floor. If you are afraid of this, get into the bathtub with the piggy and the dishpan which works well if you have a handheld shower head. But, I digress.

We're back at my kitchen sink which also has a spray attachment. One of my boys is terribly afraid of it so I don't spray him with it. Run enough water in the pan to cover his belly, bum and legs. Gently scoop up water and get him wet. Soap him well, take him out, and put him into a towel. Be sure to cover him with the towel because he will shake like a dog and fling water everywhere. Dump the water, run some clean water, and rinse him thoroughly. Towel dry him to the best of your ability and then use a hairdryer on LOW to dry him. Keep a hand between the dryer and the piggy to monitor the heat. Get him as dry as you possibly can because it takes a while for them to dry down to the skin, especially if they are not short-haired.

Cavies sometimes tremble after the bath.......whether from fright or cold I don't know. If I have one like that, I take the time to cuddle the piggy bundled in a small towel on my chest until the trembling stops. I then put them back in their cage. I try to bathe them early in the day so that they are thoroughly dry by bedtime.

Be sure to use a shampoo made for small animals like Squeaky Clean. A shampoo made for humans will suds too much and you will have to repetitively rinse them........which you want to avoid. Insofar as the biting goes, I have one who is a biter when he's frightened and I simply wear latex/nitrile gloves.

maxnruby

Cavy Gazer
have you never held him before ??

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave

maxnruby

Cavy Gazer
you’ve just left him in the cage for a month? that’s horrible!):

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
you’ve just left him in the cage for a month? that’s horrible!):

No I haven't my mom has picked him up moved him into a new cage we play with all the time

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How are you ever going to make friends with him if you never hold him?

Guinea pigs don't usually bite. They may nip if they want to go back in their cage, but outright biting is very rare. The main exception is if a pig has mites -- those make it painful to be handled.

Get a small box, turn it on the side, and gently shoo the pig into it. Put a towel in your lap, put the pig on it. Feed it yummy treats, talk to it softly, and pet it. Do that at least once a day, and more if you have time.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
From my experience it takes a long time some guinea pigs to trust you. Does he need a bath? because if there's no reason to bathe him then it isn't necessary. I have seven piggies, all for two years or more. I have one that still will not let me pick her up but since she loves cardboard tubes I put a tube (a tunnel tube not toilet paper tube) in the cage and patiently wait for her to go in then I pick the tube. Be careful not to tip the tube.

After that I tilt the tube and she will rest on my lap. She seems to like petting more when she's in my lap. She just seems stressed with the whole picking up idea. She is a Peruvian so I do give her a bath and hair cuts.

When I bathe her I put a towel down in the sink so it won't be slippery. I run water before taking her in the bathroom which I also do the same with all my piggies they all seem to dislike running water. If you need more water set it low flow.

I use a very small amount of guinea pig shampoo and try to be gentle but quick. Drain the water and let you piggie be in the sink while you dry him as much a possible, maybe he will calm at least a little, then take him out so he will be safe and not jump or leap.

Don't bathe if not needed so your piggie can learn to trust you first. If a bath is needed just wash his bottom if possible.

Good of luck and hang in there it's such a rewarding experience.

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
How are you ever going to make friends with him if you never hold him?

Guinea pigs don't usually bite. They may nip if they want to go back in their cage, but outright biting is very rare. The main exception is if a pig has mites -- those make it painful to be handled.

Get a small box, turn it on the side, and gently shoo the pig into it. Put a towel in your lap, put the pig on it. Feed it yummy treats, talk to it softly, and pet it. Do that at least once a day, and more if you have time.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

He might have mites actually I got him from an abandoned apartment I'm making a appointment today

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.