Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece New sewing?

CavyKaren

Cavy Slave
I'm in the process of switching from chips to fleece. I was talking to someone and they said they just layer their fleece on top of towels etc. they don't sew anything.
Has anyone done this? Won't they burrow?
I'd love it if I didn't have to sew.....

lissie

Cavy Slave
You don't have to sew. Not all pigs borrow. Try it out.

You can always sew it later if your pigs borrow.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I'm in the process of switching from chips to fleece. I was talking to someone and they said they just layer their fleece on top of towels etc. they don't sew anything.
Has anyone done this? Won't they burrow?
I'd love it if I didn't have to sew.....

I don't sew mine! :) I make to make the sides of my fleece 8 inches long so that it can go up over the sides of my coro and tuck in between the coro and the grids. I cut a slit into the corners, 6 inches towards the center, and use that to tie the fleece to the grids to keep it from moving :) works like a charm! I'll draw up a diagram so you can better understand what I mean :)

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
fleece.jpghere's how I measure/cut my fleece! I just made a quick video showing how I tie it to the cage too! I'll have it up in a second :) (EDIT: You can either do 8 inches on the sides or 12, it's totally up to you! my coro is 6 inches high so I do about 8-10 inches usually :) )

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
here's the video!
https://youtu.be/jDI7xrrGXgM
sorry the filming is so shaky and I'm so quiet xD My husband is still asleep and I was filming one handed!

(also excuse the mess in the background, that's my art studio xD and pardon the messy floor, it's vacuum day today!)

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I still had to use my old bedding system (fleece + uhaul taped on top of coroplast cut-outs) so when I got my new fleece, I had to trim it to fit those. I was later able to sew them together when I switched to pellets, but having long pieces of fleece that can simply hang over the edges of the coroplast is definitely a lot nicer. (using binder clips gets tiring..) I'm going to do that once I get some new fleece.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I still had to use my old bedding system (fleece + uhaul taped on top of coroplast cut-outs) so when I got my new fleece, I had to trim it to fit those. I was later able to sew them together when I switched to pellets, but having long pieces of fleece that can simply hang over the edges of the coroplast is definitely a lot nicer. (using binder clips gets tiring..) I'm going to do that once I get some new fleece.

My method you mean??? It definitely works great! I haven't had to use binder clips to hold my fleece in place EVER! :)

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
My method you mean??? It definitely works great! I haven't had to use binder clips to hold my fleece in place EVER! :)
Random question, but have you ever tried sweeping the fleece? I love the pellet + fleece combo but it makes sweeping the hay off my kitchen area's floor a real pain. It moves around too much so I can't get it all.

I'm hoping it might be easier with just the long fleece draped over everything.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Random question, but have you ever tried sweeping the fleece? I love the pellet + fleece combo but it makes sweeping the hay off my kitchen area's floor a real pain. It moves around too much so I can't get it all.

I'm hoping it might be easier with just the long fleece draped over everything.

I haven't tried sweeping the fleece, but I have found a method that works FANTASTICALLY at getting hay off the fleece! I use a paper towel and place it over the top of the stray hay and just pick it up with the paper towel :) It works really well! I get handfuls at a time! If I have time today I will make a short video with more detail on how I do it! My boys are notorious for dragging their hay ALL OVER THEIR CAGE and this is the best method I have found so far!

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I haven't tried sweeping the fleece, but I have found a method that works FANTASTICALLY at getting hay off the fleece! I use a paper towel and place it over the top of the stray hay and just pick it up with the paper towel :) It works really well! I get handfuls at a time! If I have time today I will make a short video with more detail on how I do it! My boys are notorious for dragging their hay ALL OVER THEIR CAGE and this is the best method I have found so far!
Haha. I know what you mean. My boys always make a mess of their kitchen. Pellets and hay everywhere!

I'll be sure to try your method out. Thank you.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Haha. I know what you mean. My boys always make a mess of their kitchen. Pellets and hay everywhere!

I'll be sure to try your method out. Thank you.

Haha right?! It must be a boy thing xD My girls keep it pretty clean hay wise, pellets though...Once they get to the bottom of the bowl they flip it :D
Sure thing! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.