Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Astroturf and absorbent layers

sparhawk817

Cavy Slave
Hi, my girlfriend and I have 3 guinea pigs, males, who are between a year and six months old, depending upon the fella, and we're upgrading their cage this friday. the currently have a custom made cage using the cube type wire grids, and have an outdoor artificial grass with towels underneath a rubber mat bottom, as well as a large litter bin. the cage is 6 feet by 28 inches, give or take.
the plan is to build a cheap plywood frame, use nicer grass(which we've already bought, the stuff we started with was free and worn out), and bring the litter bin up to a second level. now, the towels we have are undoubtedly ruined, and while we could probably salvage them, my girlfriend is... opposed to the idea. they live at her house, and she is the one that takes care of them, so it's her call.
i had the grand idea for an absorbent layer of cat litter, either corn cob or wheat straw based, underneath the artificial grass. it clumps, unlike wood pellets, it's dust free(or as close as it gets) and we already have a cat, so it's something we can get in larger quantities.
Has anyone else tried anything like this? we're not sure what to put in the litter bin up top as well, i was thinking maybe go back to wood shavings for it, as they smell nice(aspen) and the pigs were better at being "potty trained" then.

if i can find coroplast, and it's cheap enough, we'll probably use that instead of plywood, but either way there will be a plastic liner for sure.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the artificial grass. They can eat it and it can cause an obstruction. I wouldn't use either of those cat litters. Recycled newspaper bedding is fine as well as kiln dried pine or aspen. Towels under fleece is also acceptable.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, wood pellets do clump.

sparhawk817

Cavy Slave
the wood pellets we have had in the past, and are currently using (noah's best?) are just breaking down into dust, as have all the reviews of wood pellets.

we've already gotten the artificial grass, and it's short, like a low pile carpet, we haven't had any problems with them eating it yet, and it's the same length as the old stuff. they have plenty of different chews available, as well as hay.

and it looks like the clumping litters i'm likely to use are corn cob based, the wheat straw ones don't clump after they dry at all, just turn into "sawdust" like wood pellets have, and the plain ol wheat based ones, like Swheatscoop are gummy once clumped, and have a history of making a really gluey mess on the bottom of cat boxes, so corn cob based pellets like nature's miracle(unscented) or world's best, or probably a mixture of the two, sound like they're going to be what we end up with, if the price is right. @pinky is there any reason not to use the litters? i'd like to use the newspapers, or towels, but we've had problems with smell lately, and it's getting towards the warmer months, where her room is the hottest. we clean the cage once a week, and still, it's gotten a nose bitey scent to it, which worries us for their lungs. i want to avoid that, and try to provide them with something cleaner and easier to maintain.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.