Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Naming your Guineas

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
When I first got my pig, she was called Baba by her former owner but whenever I call her by that name she wouldn't respond, not even a glance or a squeak so I decided to change it. She's a golden agouti peruvian and the first thing that popped into mind was the color of chocolate truffles, hence the name Truffles. She responds to it better than Baba so it stuck.

In a week or two I'll be getting a male and female peruvian(not mated). I'll be naming the male Zorro, he has a black mask on his face, and the female Reese 'cause she reminds me of Reese's peanut butter chocs. Will be posting their pictures soon. :)

Here's Truffles,

Attachments

260120133971.jpg

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
My husband named Mufasa spontaneously, and after he died and he adopted another piggy, we named "her" Leela from Futurama and got a friend we named Amy (also from the show). Luckily Amy was in quarantine when we found out Leela was a boy who became Borat (rat was one of Mufasa's nicknames). We also used to joke that he wanted a "sexy time" with Amy, as they became neighbors and would have eventually lived together if he'd lived long enough to get neutered.

After Borat died and we adopted a new girl pig, there were no good female "Futurama" names left, so we continued the cartoon theme and named her Quinn, after the sister on "Daria," which totally fits her personality.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
My youngest named Leah, our Himalayan, because I don't know. Her full name is Leah Cutie, and she went by LC for a while because Leah Cutie is kinda burdensome. Then that got shortened to just Leah. Smore is named Smore because she's all brown and black blended together. No white, but hey, Leah is white, so it works. Flower has a white stripe going down her lil' black face, so she looks like a sweetie pie skunk like on Bambi, so she's been christened Flower. So there it is.

PiggieFun

Cavy Slave
Squirmy and Skittle...our kids named them!

I had wanted to name Squirmy "Cinnamon" because of her pretty highlights (that you can only see when her hair is cut short). My six year old son wanted to hame her Chewbacca....which fits when her hair is long! My eight year old daughter thought up Squirmy. We thought it was a nice compromise.

There wasn't much debate over Skittle. :)

SingMeAHarmony

Cavy Slave
I have a jet black abyssian, so naturally I was going to name him after something dark. He was (and is) very shy and keeps to himself, but he's a curious little thing. I've got a niece and a nephew, however, so I wanted to name him after some cartoon or show they liked. My nephew is 7, and my niece is 5, so I decided to name him Shadow, as they both love the game... I think it's called Sonic, maybe? I believe its a TV show as well, I'm pretty sure I used to play it. Anyway, they went bonkers when I told them what I name him. I used to have a tri colored abyssian as well, but after finding out she was a sow I had to give her away:( Anyway, since I named Shadow something that reached out more to my nephew, after I found out what I thought was a boar turned out to be a sow, I named her Jazzmine, after princess Jazzmine. Both of them went bananas over the names.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I adopted my piggy off craiglist. He was supposed to be a girl named Wilma. The first day I let him roam on the floor I noticed he had parts that were not that of a girl! For many days I tried to think of a boy's name close to Wilma. Thought of Willis, but it just didn't fit. Being a new piggy mommy, after a few days I was overwhelmed with how much they pooh and called him you little pooper. So that is how he got his name - Cooper! Alias- Cooper the Pooper! And yes, for now he is alone, but I've been promised a baby that we are waiting to be born (if there is a boy) If no boy in the litter, I will be contacting a rescue to pair him up with a friend.

That is too funny. My brother's name is Cooper >.<

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I named my 1st pig Guinness McDougal because he's all-black and I love the name McDougal. I had been looking to get a guinea pig and I had already decided on the name Guinness, so when I saw him up for adoption, I knew I'd found Guinness. I have no idea how I came up with Spuds for my 2nd pig, but it just came to me. To keep with the theme, I named him Spuds McKenzie after Slurms McKenzie on Futurama. It still wasn't quite right, so I added Checkers into his name, because his chest looks like a checker board. Thus Spuds Checkers-McKenzie came about. When I got my 3rd pig, I wanted to call her Rocky, but decided an older name would suit her better. Because of her golden agouti fur, she looked more like a rabbit to me, so I made her middle name Usagi, meaning Rabbit in Japanese. Thus Mable Usagi. When it came to my 4th pig, I was at a loss, until the name Marybell hit me. Ive always liked that name since I heard it on TV when I was a kid. She has a white spot above her ear like someone stuck a flower there, so I made her middle name Daisy, and brought Marybell Daisy home. I had no idea what to Call my 5th pig, and I tossed around a few ideas, before I felt like she was a Trudy. Since she's an absynian, I made her middle name Peppermint, because her swirly fur reminded me of a peppermint. And that's how I named my five guinea pigs.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
Loving this! My first two pigs I named Bubble and Squeak. I originally thought they'd be my only guineas, and since I'm in England, I figured they could be named after some quintessentially British food! It turns out that they live up to their names - Bubble is quite bubbly, she putters around the cage sometimes making quiet happy bubbly noises! And Squeak is quite the squeaker! She is always ready to wheek for her food (LOUDLY!) and squeaks if there's ever someone bothering her!

My next guinea, I named Kiwi. She looked like a tiny kiwi fruit from the top with her agouti fur, so it fit. The shelter called her "Mabel", but I didn't think that fit her personality. She gained the nickname "Tiny Bear", and she's usually called that at home because she's quite spunky and brave and looks a bit like the tiny bears from the movie Brave (at least to me!). You can judge from the picture!

The last is Simba. He was originally named "Tango" at the shelter - I think because his fur looks a bit orange like the soft drink called Tango here in the UK. It made me think of dancing the tango instead of the drink, so I decided to change it. He's now Simba because his colour is a bit like Simba in The Lion King, and he's definitely king of this herd!

DSC_0542.jpg This is Tiny Bear/Kiwi!

Attachments

DSC_0540.jpg

G_Piggler

Cavy Slave
I wanted to let my 3 daughters name them, but I gave them some guidelines. I told them to make up a Dr. Seuss word that described the baby and made you happy to say. We ended up with Floxy Swoosh- her "Swoosh" is obvious if you see her, and she's soft and "Floxy," and Ploof! our Abby- she looks like what is left after a fairy transports. *PLOOF* And since we had only girl human babies, all of our pets have the middle name of Leonard (even the girls) to honor Daddy's Daddy's Daddy.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
We got Cupcake from the rescue and they already named her that. It was so cute we kept the name. but she needs more names right? lol So, her official name is Cupcake Cutie Pigaletta. Cutie because she is so cute and pigaletta because I call them that as a nickname.

My son named Flickers. We didn't want Snickers so he decided on Flickers. Her full name is Dr. Flickers Frogaletta. since they are not from the same mother they needed different last names ;) She has Dr. because she needed surgery for a huge abcess when we first got her and had to go to the doctor a lot. Frogaletta because she takes off with both back feet and looks like a frog hopping.

My new nickname seems to be pigda, so if we get another one, it may end up with that name, lol.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Loving this! My first two pigs I named Bubble and Squeak. I originally thought they'd be my only guineas, and since I'm in England, I figured they could be named after some quintessentially British food! It turns out that they live up to their names - Bubble is quite bubbly, she putters around the cage sometimes making quiet happy bubbly noises! And Squeak is quite the squeaker! She is always ready to wheek for her food (LOUDLY!) and squeaks if there's ever someone bothering her!

I have always like the names of your pigs! I forget what food those are, though. My cupcake looks like yours with the ridge sticking up, but she is colored differently.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
Thanks, @Kelly9! Cupcake is a cutie! I always thought the tufts of fur made Kiwi look like she had eyebrows! Bubble and Squeak is made of leftover veggies from a roast dinner - mostly potatoes and cabbage that's fried.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Years ago I started naming my pigs alphabetically because it helped me narrow down names and mostly because it was also really fun :D It started with one of my first piggies Aya, then Braith, Celeste, Druid, Ellie, and now my little girl Flora. Ellie passed away a few months ago :(

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Here is a sleepy Cupcake
IMG_8637.jpgIMG_8769.jpg
And a hungry Flickers

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Fickers is so cute! I love the name, it fits him perfectly!

SingMeAHarmony

Cavy Slave
Oh, and originally I name Jazzmine Jet, but my niece decided she didn't like that name and randomly started calling her Jazz/Jazzmine! xD

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I named my 1st pig Guinness McDougal because he's all-black and I love the name McDougal. I had been looking to get a guinea pig and I had already decided on the name Guinness, so when I saw him up for adoption, I knew I'd found Guinness. I have no idea how I came up with Spuds for my 2nd pig, but it just came to me. To keep with the theme, I named him Spuds McKenzie after Slurms McKenzie on Futurama. It still wasn't quite right, so I added Checkers into his name, because his chest looks like a checker board. Thus Spuds Checkers-McKenzie came about. When I got my 3rd pig, I wanted to call her Rocky, but decided an older name would suit her better. Because of her golden agouti fur, she looked more like a rabbit to me, so I made her middle name Usagi, meaning Rabbit in Japanese. Thus Mable Usagi. When it came to my 4th pig, I was at a loss, until the name Marybell hit me. Ive always liked that name since I heard it on TV when I was a kid. She has a white spot above her ear like someone stuck a flower there, so I made her middle name Daisy, and brought Marybell Daisy home. I had no idea what to Call my 5th pig, and I tossed around a few ideas, before I felt like she was a Trudy. Since she's an absynian, I made her middle name Peppermint, because her swirly fur reminded me of a peppermint. And that's how I named my five guinea pigs.

This is so funny - I have a Checkers as well, because the fur on her tummy is a perfect checkerboard. I'm pretty sure she's tired of having her underbelly shown off every time she's introduced to someone new. :) Our newest pig was a Christmas present to my daughter and Checkers, so we settled on the name Noel. I still can't believe I didn't get a food name...I'm usually naming everything with a food name. Love this post, btw!

Attachments

DSCF4291.jpg
Last edited:

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
aaaawwww, cute piggie :D

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Sounds like the baby piggy I want hasn't been claimed yet! Her current owner just wants to make sure she is going to a good home who can adequately provide for her and will take good care of her. So I will probably be getting her (so excited)!!! Now we just need to pick a name for her. I told my fiance he could name her, but (ever since we got Aja) he has been insisting on naming one "Scooter". In my opinion that is a boy name and we have girls so I don't want to name her that. Really hoping he picks a good name.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs came with their names: Buccaneer and Ling. I thought the names suited and were cute, so they stuck :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.