Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

GoudaandBleu

Cavy Gazer
0.jpg
Hi all,

I'm a bit worried today because I woke up to find that one of my guinea pigs, Gouda (5 month old female) has something that looks like a scab on her ear. She does have another female cage-mate, so I was wondering if it might be caused by a nip. It did seemingly appear over night, though-- I don't remember seeing it yesterday evening. I was wondering if anyone could give me a second opinion as to what might have caused it. I'm going to try attaching a picture of the scab, but it is very small and looks as if it has scabbed over. It's red in color and it is on the outside of her ear towards the bottom of the ear. Thanks in advance!

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
It does look like a nip. Is she still behaving normally?

It also could be ringworm, although that is highly unlikely because the other pig probably would have scabs too, and Gouda would have more.

I am going to assume it is a nip, but I will tag another member/s to get their opinion. [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]

GoudaandBleu

Cavy Gazer
It does look like a nip. Is she still behaving normally?

It also could be ringworm, although that is highly unlikely because the other pig probably would have scabs too, and Gouda would have more.

I am going to assume it is a nip, but I will tag another member/s to get their opinion. @Guinea Pig Papa @bpatters

She seems to be behaving like she usually does! No problems eating or drinking and she seems not to be itching her ear, which I assume is a good sign. Thank you for your insight :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just keep a close eye on it. If you see signs of beginning infection (heat, redness, swelling, pus), then put some triple antibiotic cream on it twice a day. Be sure to rub it in well.

How big is their cage?

GoudaandBleu

Cavy Gazer
Just keep a close eye on it. If you see signs of beginning infection (heat, redness, swelling, pus), then put some triple antibiotic cream on it twice a day. Be sure to rub it in well.

How big is their cage?

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep an eye on it for any signs of it getting worse. Their cage is about 50 inches x 14 inches.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep an eye on it for any signs of it getting worse. Their cage is about 50 inches x 14 inches.

I'm hoping that 14 inches is a typo. It needs to be at least double that.

GoudaandBleu

Cavy Gazer
I'm hoping that 14 inches is a typo. It needs to be at least double that.

ah, yes. Excuse the mistake-- my mind has been elsewhere this morning. It is about 50x34, quite comfortable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.