Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Removing Hidies for some time? Good idea or Bad?

violettedream

Cavy Slave
Today after cleaning the boys cage, I put back in one of thier normal hidies and giant brown paper bag. After a bit, I removed the paper bag (a few hours or so) to put back in thier pigloo for the, but the two of tehmstarted running around, popcorning, munching on their food and seemed positivity happy. So I was just wondering if having the hidies out for a little bit every now and then is okay? (They still have one in the corner and is their favourite but they seem content and happy to run and play with out darting between hiding spots. I know variety is good, but I also know hiding spots are too...

Oh the joys of having active piggies again!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about all hideys, a few, one, or what? I try to keep 4 hideys or more n the cage. That way,everyone gets a hidey and can move from one or the other.. They have their Bunk bed(1), Box(1), tunnel(1), fleece forest(1) and a pigloo(1).

violettedream

Cavy Slave
Right now they have 2 hidies - one box/fleece, and one pigloo. Also usually in the corner I have kinda like a fleece forest. I had removed the pigloo and fleece forest to make room for the bag earlier ad hadnt replaced them just yet (all back in now) but for about 30-45 minutes they seemed to popcorn about and such before I did.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
Someone on here said they don't like to put hidies in so they have a bunch of cuddle cups and other cozies. I forgot who that was though. At the moment I have none in until I upgrade their cage so they have more room to run they seem to be perfectly fine with their cozies.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sometimes when I'm home during the day I take out their pigloos. They tend to be more active that way. At night, I always put them back in because they prefer to sleep in them. My pairs are very bonded so I never have issues with them trapping or fighting with their companion so pigloos work well for me.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I know my girls do that when I put something new in the cage. They also do it when I change stuff around. My piggies are tunnelers and it drives me nuts. Im learning if it make them happy whatever. Keeps poos off top layer lol. I had two tunnels, the grid bed,and they still tunneled. I didnt want to crowd the cage with stuff. I made a few fleece pockets/sacks they used them for a while but then stoped. I like trying new things.

violettedream

Cavy Slave
Good to know my boys are super bonded (as of right now) and usually are in the same hidey. So I put the pigloo back in after a bit, but def will be swtiching their cage up more. My older guy who I had for a few years, always sulked unless I put things back exactly as they were before I cleaned the cage - to the point he pretty much sulked when he chewed away his log hiddey ad I replaced it with the same one. (He glared at it for about a week and a half) So active piggies who are enjoying the stimulation is nice and new to me.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
The 2 babies were born on the night they had no hideys. They cage was jammed packed with 3 pigs so I just took them out most of the day and all night,

boofp

Cavy Slave
pizap.com13762387833101.jpg I change up things daily sometimes,, just whenever I get an Idea.

This is my tunneler Gemini...

016.jpg

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
That was probably me. I only resorted to adding a type of hidey after I built a large cage.......and had room for them. They are types of tunnels where they can seek cover, but always have a entrance/exit. My cavies love their cozies, but are completely taken with their cardboard house/tunnels. They alternate sleeping in the one in the loft and the one on the main level. :love:

Yeah it was you! You gave me the idea to try it and they are fine with they always sleep on their cozies they also seem to love having the space and playing games so this works out great until I get my bigger cage.

skritters

Cavy Slave
@boofp how did you make that grid hidey?

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I love the oxbow hay tunnels, but right now I am using pillow cases. One is draped over two corners of the cage, and one is over the middle separator sort of like a tent, draping over each side. I'm using those now since my cage is currently split in two with a divider and this way I can maximize their space since they dont have as much room as they would if they could chill out and get along and share their cage. They love these and dont seem to miss the tunnels. I've never been a fan of pigloos, they've never ha done.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
that looks awesome need to try that. Did you put a bent grid in there or is it something else?

boofp

Cavy Slave
@boofp how did you make that grid hidey?

I bent two grids and put a grid between them at bottom connected everything with connecters.... and put jumbo stretchable book covers on the bent grids. put fleece on top to make it darker for them but you dont have too. It was kinda large for my two grid wide cage didnt like how it looked and they wouldnt sleep in it together so I took it out.

skritters

Cavy Slave
Good point. .. mine would NOT share, haha. Still, it looks great :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.