Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Big fall!

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
My French fries has always had a habit of leaping from my arms, whenever she sees I'm putting her back in her cage. Just a bit ago, she leaped, and fell straight to the floor. I picked her up, and she began making the worst sound I've ever heard a piggy make! Since then she's calmed down, and she's walking okay. I think she was just scared.

Should I shell out for a vet visit, or do you think she'll be okay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I'd take her to a vet. Is she eating and drinking?

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I'd take her to a vet. Is she eating and drinking?

Yes, she's eating, drinking, and even popcorned for hay!

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I'd still take her to the vet for a checkup asap.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need a better way of holding your pig. If you're walking with her, you should have her back to your chest, one hand across her chest and one under her butt. Hold her with both hands when you're putting her down.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
You need a better way of holding your pig. If you're walking with her, you should have her back to your chest, one hand across her chest and one under her butt. Hold her with both hands when you're putting her down.

Believe me, I do. Once she sees the open door to her cage, though, she just goes nuts! No matter what I try she wiggles and flails...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can teach her not to do that. Hold her by both hands over the cage as if you're going to put her down. If she struggles, lift her up and back against your body. Then try again. Only put her down when she stops struggling. It can take a couple of weeks for them to catch on, but I've taught all of mine that they're not going to be put down until they're still and quiet.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
You can teach her not to do that. Hold her by both hands over the cage as if you're going to put her down. If she struggles, lift her up and back against your body. Then try again. Only put her down when she stops struggling. It can take a couple of weeks for them to catch on, but I've taught all of mine that they're not going to be put down until they're still and quiet.

Thanks for the advice :)

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave

I never thought to do that! Funny I never would have tolerated that from a dog, just goes to show, sometimes we underestimate our pets.

charlotte1992

Cavy Slave
Sometimes it helps to put them back in the towel you are cuddling them in if they are wriggly. Just wrap it around them and hold them firmly bu gentle in it, make sure they can't slip out the back if you have them wrapped up. Just place it in their cage and they will walk out.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. I have had a couple of "jumpers" and the easiest way around that is simply to place them in their cage BACKWARD. I have one hand under the bum and the other holding firmly under the front legs or/and around their chest. Never had a problem with a premature jump when using this technique.

Thanks so much! I tried it today, and there was absolutely no problem!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.