Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Victoria's Thread - Funny walk?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have 4 guinea pigs. 2 weeks ago they were moved to my boyfriend's house because I live in California and I'll be moving to Montana by the end of april. He lives there so he's been taking care of her. He's been saying 1 of my girls, Vi was walking funny but then she started walking fine again and I said 'sometimes they just jump or walk funny but take a video and I'll see what I can research'. She started walking just fine and then today he came home from work and went to feed them veggies and she didn't want to come out from the side of the bed and walked funny, again. He took a video and sent it to me and I obviously started to freak out because I'm 2000km away from my baby. I'll share the video and I'd appreciate your help with this situation. He also sent me a picture of her back foot and it looks swollen and pinkish. He says it's like a bruise. She's eating and pooping normally and she's on a steady weight. I'm uploading the video and will post it ASAP.

https://youtu.be/RUr6MYDHUO4

image1 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Update: I'm sorry that my post is all over the place I'm just extremely worried and I'm so far away that it makes it even worse. My boyfriend will be sending more pictures that I'll upload asap. My pigs have a pile of hay and he said one of my girls, the one walking funny was there and Nami my other girl ran over her probably non intentionally and Vi squeaked two days ago. So we're thinking this could be the reason? Like I said, she's eating and pooping just fine.IMG_2954.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be. See https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html for more information on bumblefoot.

Do be aware that it should be treated as early as possible. The infection can get into the bone and cause the leg to have to be amputated if it gets bad enough.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
It could be. See https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html for more information on bumblefoot.

Do be aware that it should be treated as early as possible. The infection can get into the bone and cause the leg to have to be amputated if it gets bad enough.

I'm making an appointment right now for tomorrow which is the earliest they can give me an appointment and I appreciate your help. It's obviously so scary and I've been crying because I'm so far away from her. Thank God my boyfriend is keeping a close eye on her and putting everything close to her so she's not uncomfortable.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
We got an appointment for tomorrow at 4.40pm. My boyfriend will take her in. So far she's been eating hay/veggies and drinking water. She's just laying down a lot because I'm sure she's in pain. Poor little thing. Any other informationg anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

pouty

Cavy Slave
Update us when you can!! I hope Vi will be walking comfortably again sooner than later.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: We're back from the vets. No broken leg just soft tissue swollen. She's on Metacam for a week. If there's no improvement by Friday we have to call the vet and take her in again but she should be feeling better soon. She's eating and pooping as usual so that's great and her weight is okay. She's already moving around. We have to keep the cage divided for a few days until she feels better.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Update: After 3 days of Metacam she's showing some improvement. She's still a little limpy but she now walks around the cage to get water and food. Her appetite never changed but she was definitely too tired and in pain to walk at first so she had a hay pile right by her favorite hidey. Hopefully in a few days she'll be fully recovered!

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Update: Day 5 of Metacam. She's still eating, pooping, drinking as usual. She wheeks for veggies and tries to get to them. But she still struggles to put weight on her injured leg. We made an appointment for Monday to take her in and have her checked again. Maybe they'll switch her from Metacam to any other pain medicine? Any thoughts on this? She's still a positive pig and that's what keeps our hopes up!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Good luck! I can't say what the vet will do but hopefully it'll help, it sounds like she's improving so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, Victoria is back from the vets. She had her Xrays taken again (for free - thank god!) and she was sent home with more Metacam and Baytril for 2 weeks. Vet thought about Bumblefoot as @bpatters said but she said it didn't make sense because she didn't live in a wired cage, she's young and not overweighted. She also said the joint of her foot is still swollen so we're on antibiotics now.

Here's the xray.image1 (4).jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
i'll say here, for the benefit of the people on this forum, that a wired cage is not the only way a pig can get bumblefoot. It's just an infection from pressure, injury, bedding, whatever. It's just much more likely to occur if a pig is in a wired cage.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters. I'm hoping she gets better soon. That's all. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in the next few days.

pouty

Cavy Slave
Haven't seen an update in a few days. Hope Victoria is doing well.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Haven't seen an update in a few days. Hope Victoria is doing well.
Thanks for asking. Victoria was on Metacam for a week. We didn't see any improvement so we took her back to the vets last Monday. A different vet took xrays again to check her legs (she didn't charge us for them phew!) - We were sent home with Baytril and Metacam for 2 weeks. Baytril .8ml/ Metacam .3ml q24hs.
-We paired Baytril with an OTC Probiotic (Spring Valley acidophilus - from Walmart) and we ordered BeneBac from Amazon.
-After 2 days on Baytril her appetite seemed to have decreased a little bit so we started hand feeding her with pellet slurry and we also got simethicone for her (just in case - .15ml twice a day) and that did the trick. Her appetite is back and she finally started walking more this morning, she also started running away from my fiance when he tried to give her medicine. We're seeing some improvement and hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon. We don't know exactly what she had but I do believe @bpatters was right. The swelling in her legs finally went down and she's still eating and pooping like a champ!
You can't imagine how many posts on Bumblefoot, leg problems, GI stasis and poop I've read in the past few days to try and help her get better. I was and still am so scared of Baytril but using a Probiotic and simethicone helped her.

If there's anything that you think we're doing wrong please let us know! We appreciate advice! :)

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hi guys, updating on Victoria's medical thread.

We're 9 days into the Baytril treatment. Victoria is slowly improving, moving around a little bit more but not too much yet. Her feet are getting better. She's taking her AB and probiotics like a champ. We're supplementing with Critical Care a few times a day that she either eats from a spoon or a bowl. She's eating her veggies, hay, drinking water and pooping as she usually does but we kept her on a low dose of gas drops a day just in case, because during the first days of Baytril she was pooping and eating less. Now her appetite is back to normal and so is pooping. Please let us know if we should take her off the gas drops.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Forgot to mention that vet said if she was showing some improvement the treatment would take 2-6 weeks of Baytril. So we're almost done with the two weeks and we will be calling the vets to see if she'll prescribe more Baytril or not.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
If she's still improving, hopefully they will! Victoria is a real trooper.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
IMG_1854.jpgHere is an updated picture of Victoria's feet. She's being treated for bumblefoot. She's on Baytril and Metacam. So far she has no open wounds on the sole of her feet, but if anyone has any suggestions how to help her we will appreciate it. If there's no open wounds we can't soak her feet in epson salts right @bpatters?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
If she's still improving, hopefully they will! Victoria is a real trooper.

She is! She's a high spirited pig and we believe she'll get through this because she's such a happy pig and tries so hard to get better. This past three weeks have been draining and we're exhausted, we just want her to be back to her old self. We have long ways to go...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.