Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Irresponsible Dog Owners

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So if you guys don't remember, I'm really involved in fostering bully breeds and doing temperament testing all around Central Florida.

A few months ago my Grandmother decided she wanted a dog. I recommended a lab rescue because her and my grandfather have always had labs and are both very old. My Grandfather is also handicap so I thought an older lab that had some service training would be perfect.

Instead she takes a trip out to one of our local shelter and picks up a 2 year old pitbull.

Everything was fine. The dog is very spooky, was obviously abused, does not have any clue how to walk on a leash, but she started getting a lot better. She still had no training but I was planning on helping with that.

On her paper work it said that she had already been returned 2 times and that she was not okay with other dogs. Nana ignores this even though she has an elderly pekingese. It turns out that the pitbull was fine with the pekingese and loves my 15 lb terrier mix.

The pekingese eventually passed away and they started taking the pitbull out on walks more and things. 2 days ago they decided to take this dog that is extremely spooky and pulled my grandfather out of his chair to meet the neighbor's dog. Knowing she already had the issue.

Of course she shows signs of aggression to the other dog, almost pulls my Nana over.

So now she's all overwhelmed and taking her back to the shelter.

Here's the kicker; three strikes is it at my shelter.

Buffy will be put down. Because of the complete disregard of responsibility from a 60 year old woman.

Needless to say, I am beyond furious.

Here's sweet Buffy.
10930945_990935087601219_1429183677869649721_n.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
Since she gets along with your dog, why don't you take her?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Since she gets along with your dog, why don't you take her?
I'm having severe family issues and am living in a 2 bedroom apartment right now. My mom is leaving and I don't even know where I'm going to be living in the next few weeks so I can't sign onto that responsibility right now, unfortunately.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. Such a sweet looking dog.
Can you help her find a home somewhere else?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. Such a sweet looking dog.
Can you help her find a home somewhere else?
The thing is, she still belongs to the shelter until she was to be spayed. So any adoptions or placements have to go through them. And once they find out that they want to return her again, she won't stand a chance. It's so frustrating.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you explain the situation to the shelter?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I wouldn't explain it. Just take her to be spayed without saying anything, as long as you can get the owner to agree. Then work on finding a home afterward.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't explain it. Just take her to be spayed without saying anything, as long as you can get the owner to agree. Then work on finding a home afterward.
Her owner will not keep her they are taking her back this weekend.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Didn't the shelter ask if another dog was in the house? if so, they broke their own rules by placing the dog there. With that, maybe they will try one more time since they placed the dog in a home knowing it shouldn't be in the home with other dogs. You take the dog back, you act angry at them for placing a dog in a home with other dogs when it was stated she isn't ok with other dogs.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
**Buffy will be put down. Because of the complete disregard of responsibility from a 60 year old woman.**

You can add the shelter to that. If a dog is not well with other dogs or animals or childs, its their job to make sure it goes to a home without the animals, etc that causes aggression. IMO, I don't even blame your grandma unless she lied about not having another dog.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Poor Buffy! Such a sweet looking thing. I'm sorry.

It is the shelter's fault, partially. Pit Bulls can be dangerous, so they need to make sure each one they give is in a proper home.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Pit Bulls can be dangerous, so they need to make sure each one they give is in a proper home.
You need to be careful how you word that. Anything with teeth is dangerous. Making statements like that is what gives my breeds a reputation that they don't deserve.

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You need to be careful how you word that. Anything with teeth is dangerous.

I agree, even the tiniest of things with teeth are dangerous. my friend once had a hamster and asked me to hold it. i did, but it was startled or something and it bit my hand So hard, i'm not even exaggerating. It was so close to hitting the bone, but it didn't gladly. But my hand bleed so much. it was just horrific. *shudders*

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I have a scar from a rat terrier, my friend had her jacket ripped by a great pyrenees, and she had her lip bit through by an australian shepherd. My cousin's australian shepherd bit someone on the hand for walking in the house without waiting for my grandma to answer the door. Arguably with good reason our bernese mountain dog punctured someone's lower leg. They were wandering around our buildings with no one home ignoring the dog growling at them but they had met the dog before so they thought it would be fine. Truly anything can bite. I have akitas, shiba, and husky and actually I've never had them bite except when my female akita was cornered and in pain. She left a bruise with her front teeth on the vet's hand for not listening to all her warnings and attempts to escape. It's not the breed even when it comes to amount of damage done. It's how well they were bred, how well they were socialized, and how well they are handled by their owner.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
How dogs were raised doesn't necessarily decide how they're going to be in the future, either. You always hear "It's all in how you raise them" but plenty of dogs that are adopted from shelters have horrible pasts but are sweet as can be. Of course, there are those cases where dogs can't overcome their pasts, but usually if they're in good homes with the right people willing to be patient with them and work with them they can become wonderful pets. At the shelter I volunteer at the bully breeds are usually some of the sweetest dogs there. The only aggressive dog I've seen there is a Border Collie they have now. He'll be fine one minute and trying to attack you through the cage door the next. But I'm sure if he were given the chance he would be a great companion for the right person. So it's really not a dogs breed, but a bunch of factors that decide how they're going to behave. Sorry for the long rant!

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
Also, I hope everything works out for Buffy!

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
I absolutely love pit bulls, they are wonderful dogs and I'm drawn to them even more because of all of the anti pit bull people out there, it makes me feel for them and root for them even more!

I actually read somewhere (sorry I can't exactly remember where, but I think it was on a website for dogs or maybe a magazine) that Dachsunds (weenie dogs) were responsible for more people visiting the ER for dog bites than any other breed. When I read that I thought to myself, and people think pit bulls, german shepherds, Rottweilers, etc are so bad when according to this study of dog bite statistics, a weenie dog is actually more dangerous and prone to bite people. However, my sister has a Dachsund and she is as sweet as can be, so not all of them are bad, just like not all pit bulls are bad.

My nephew has 3 pit bulls and they are the sweetest, smartest most loyal dogs I have ever met. He spoils them rotten and treats them with all the love, care and respect they deserve. They are very well trained and he has taught them all sorts of commands and tricks. One of the pit bulls named Jixter, he the silliest and sweetest, unfortunately had to be registered as a viscous dog. The reason why is because one day my nephew was working out in his yard, so he put Jixter on a zip line he had set up out there and some lady who lived in an apartment complex accross the road from his house was walking her small dog, I think it was a jack Russell or a small mix breed or something.

Anyways, the rules of the apartment complex are that all dogs must be on a leash and you must clean up after them and so on, however she didn't have her dog on a leash and he saw Jixter laying in the shade of a tree in his own front yard and started yapping away and growling at him. The little dog ran accross the street and started attacking and biting poor Jixter. At first Jixter was yelping and crying in pain for help and he just couldn't take it anymore and whacked the little dog with his paw, but that didn't stop him so he bit him back. It wasn't anything serious, that required a vet, Jixter was just giving him a warning bite and my nephew got there in time to pull the little dog off of him. Of course what does the lady do, she takes one look at Jixter, sees he's a pit bull and calls animal control to report him for attacking her little dog. Animal control says that the lady was wrong for not having her dog on a leash and it was clear that Jixter was on a zip line and couldn't go anywhere even if he wanted to and was not the aggressor. However, because he was a pit bull he had to register him as a vicious dog.

The lady tried to get the animal control officer to make my nephew pay for her to take her dog to a bet to get checked out, but the guy said that there was nothing wrong with her dog and no visible marks anywhere on him, meanwhile poor Jixter has several bleeding bite wounds and scratches, it was nothing that needed stitches or a vet, just some disinfecting and bandaging that my nephew could manage. The guy told the lady if she wanted to take her dog to the vet she can, but she will do so at her own expense. People like that really irritate me and make my blood boil!!!

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
My breed is rottweilers. In my opinion, it's all about genetics.

The reason why Dachshunds don't get the reputation of a pitbull is because when a pitbull bites someone it does a lot more damage.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
You need to be careful how you word that. Anything with teeth is dangerous. Making statements like that is what gives my breeds a reputation that they don't deserve.

I hate how the bully breeds got the bad reputation! It's the owners that don't socialize them, and use them for dog fighting! I had a friend who has a pitbull and it was the friendliest dog I have ever met!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
We're getting a bit off topic here. Maybe we should focus on helping Buffy? Good luck to him, by the way. Keep us updated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.