Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Has anyone else combined a bonded pair of females with a bonded 3 females?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I currently have 5 guinea pigs, all females. I have 3 pigs in one cage, and then adopted a pair of bonded pigs that are in another cage.

Does anyone have experience introducing so many guinea pigs together? I've bonded guinea pigs together before, but the idea of introducing all of them together makes me a little anxious. I'm not planning on doing this any time soon since I still need to save up money to make a large cage for all of them, but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips or tricks to help.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You do it just like you'd do regular introductions, but in a huge neutral space when you've got LOTS and LOTS of time to give to it. Don't rush it. The last time I introduced a pair to a singleton, it was 11 hours before I felt comfortable going to bed and leaving them.

In the meantime, you might try the trick of swapping things out between the cages -- pieces of fleece, hideys, etc. It'll give them a chance to get used to the other scents, and might (repeat, might)​ make things go easier.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

When I introduce them, I was thinking it could be in their brand new, larger cage. Would that be an okay intro place? My plans are to make the cage 4 ft x 8 ft.

You do it just like you'd do regular introductions, but in a huge neutral space when you've got LOTS and LOTS of time to give to it. Don't rush it. The last time I introduced a pair to a singleton, it was 11 hours before I felt comfortable going to bed and leaving them.

In the meantime, you might try the trick of swapping things out between the cages -- pieces of fleece, hideys, etc. It'll give them a chance to get used to the other scents, and might (repeat, might)​ make things go easier.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I introduced a group of 4 females to a group of 5 once. It was nerve racking, but it worked. It took hours.

As @bpatters said, be prepared to take A LOT of time. You can't rush introductions.

I would use a large neutral space, that way there are no beds, hideys, tunnels, ect. No one can claim a space and create problems. There are no lingering smells on fleece or grids.

Be prepared with a towel to break up fights bad enough to draw blood. Don't use your bare hands. (Hopefully this will not occur, but you should be prepared) Have another person on the other side of the big space to assist if necessary.

Also be prepared for a lot of urine spray as you plan your space.

I put a couple piles of hay and several water bottles as well spaced out in the space (which took up by entire living room ...I just used 3 sets of playpen grids to keep them contained). That way no one is guarding or fighting over any one.

Be prepared for a shift in relationships as the hierarchy is established.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.